We are looking for a qualified Greek teacher for a paid position in our language programme, to deliver Greek classes to refugees and asylum seekers in Ioannina, Epirus. The applicant should be familiar with the Common European Framework for Language References as our classes correspond to Literacy, A1 and A2 level of the Framework.
The ideal candidate(s) will have experience teaching Greek as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of or passion for the context we work in (refugee crisis). Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
Type of role: 50% Part-time. The position can be converted to a full-time role, by combining it with another part time role in the organisation. Please mention in your application if you would be interested in this option.
If you need to relocate to Ioannina for the role, we might be able to support you with accommodation for your initial period here.
The role will include:
- Delivering daily classes to the population at assigned site (children and/or adults): maximum 11 hs/week of contact time;
- Preparing lesson plans and associated class materials in line with the set syllabus;
Ensuring student engagement and progress;
- Working closely with the Programmes Manager and Programmes Officer to ensure the programme is being delivered to the expected standards of Second Tree;
- University Degree in teaching Greek or accreditation as a Greek teacher from the EOPPEP;
- Be accountable and efficient, making sure that tasks that you take up are completed in the agreed timeframe;
- Be honest and transparent, being able to give and receive feedback in the most straightforward way;
- Have a strong sense of humor, being able to make fun of yourself is key;
- Care for people, the interests of the people we work with should always be your first concern;
- Instil the values above in the people that work with you;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload;
Ability to work in a high-intensity environment;
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management;
- Strong communication, inter-personal and writing skills;
- Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner;
- Experience working in the refugee context;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations;
Although acquiring certification is the intended long-term objective, we expect our teachers to ensure that the following objectives are realized in the immediate term:
- To support the psycho-social and intellectual development of refugees and asylum seekers;
- To empower them with interpersonal – and life – skills;
- To enable access to quality learning resources;
- To develop their Greek language skills;
- To strengthen their ability to enter formal education and/or the workplace;
- To foster their integration into Greek society;
How to apply
Please send the following to Giovanni Fontana at: email@example.com
1) Your CV
2) Your cover letter
3) Copy of your teaching qualifications
In your mail, please:
4) Put “Greek Teacher Candidate” as the subject line
5) Specify your potential starting date (“immediate” or a date)
6) At the end of the email, copy-paste the link of the ad you are responding to
If the application includes all of these we will get back to you in a maximum of 48hs.