Position Start Date: 01.06.2021
Type of contract: fixed term national contract
Duration: 12 months
Location: to be based in one of the Terre des Hommes office in the region (Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar or India) with frequent travel in the region
Eligibility: the candidate must be legally eligible to work in the country where the position is based
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in around 40 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 4 million children and members of their communities, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
The Child Protection Regional Advisor will be a key function within the regional organization and projects, ensuring technical support and quality implementation of child protection interventions in the region focusing especially on programmes related to Health, Migration, Access to Justice, and on Transversal protection projects. The Child Protection Regional Advisor will have to combine strong field experiences and high analytical and writing skills for research.
The Regional Advisor is in charge to advance the strategic priorities of the child protection transversal sector, in particular around child and youth participation, empowerment and resilience, child protection systems-strengthening and community-led approaches amongst others, in collaboration with the programmes and the region. You can represent Tdh child protection work in the region and in related forums.
The position is based in Tdh’s Asia countries of presence, in one of the Tdh Country Offices in the region (India, Nepal, Myanmar, Bangladesh), with frequent travels to the respective delegations as per the requirement.
- Contribute to the development of strategies, policies and methodologies related to child protection at global levels and their contextualization at regional and country level.
- Integrate, promote, facilitate mainstreaming and implementation of child protection related approaches into Tdh programming in the region, across the different programs.
- Key focal point for child protection approaches and interventions in the region.
- Ensure quality development and technical oversight of child protection related interventions with the CP teams of the Asia region in collaboration with the Deputy Operations Manager/Asia, the other regional Technical advisor and Programs Manager, the head of MCD India and Nepal and the Country Representatives of the Asia delegations.
- Support monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance of child protection interventions, in collaboration with the Q&A regional technical advisor and country &delegation teams.
- Lead proposal development on child protection projects and contribute to and is involved in the development and writing of grant proposals in collaboration with the teams on projects related to the Tdh programmes and transversal expertise.
- Persuasively communicate the organization’s mission and programs to potential donors.
- Ensure mainstreaming and implementation of child protection systems strengthening approaches regionally as a basis for programming.
- Ensure technical support to child protection and psychosocial interventions of Tdh within the region.
- Facilitate exchanges and learning across the region, including through CP community of practices in the field of child protection in Asia.
- Lead or facilitate child protection related capacity development initiatives for Tdh staff within the region.
- Initiate and support multi-stakeholders and multi-disciplinary partnerships to consolidate and promote the role of Tdh as a child protection actor across the region.
- Contribute to advocacy and networking in the region on transversal protection related aspects Facilitate cross-learning on child protection between country programs in the region and across regions.
- Support and contribute to the development and deployment of innovations on child protection in the region.
- Lead regional research and contribute to country level research on child protection related issues.
- Document child protection practices, share knowledge, lessons learned, promising practices, research findings, in the form of journal articles and presentations, webinars, etc and consolidate regional data in periodic information reports in coordination with the Child Protection Sector and with Portfolio Asia Europe Latin America.
- Participate in regional situation analyses or needs assessments, strategic planning, project design, proposal review, in line with child protection policies and strategies.
- Represent Tdh child protection work at regional level.
Child Safeguarding Policy :
- Commit to respect the Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Raise awareness within the Foundation on violence against children.
- Providing guidance to employees and others and defining expectations when it comes to preventing, raising, denouncing and responding to issues of child abuse.
- Reduce the risk of child abuse by selectively recruiting employees and others.
- Reduce the risk of child abuse by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children.
- Maintain professional flexibility in emergency context and be ready to support possible emergency interventions/ missions.
- Share responsibilities with other members of the delegation in the maintenance and upkeep of the office.
- Undertake other related tasks that may be determined from time to time by the Country Delegate.
- Be aware of and strictly abide by the security policy of the delegation.
- Pro-actively report relevant observations related to security/safety issues to the Supervisor.
- University degree in relevant field, preferably in social sciences, psychology, or development studies
- Excellent oral and written skills in English; competency in a South Asian language would be desirable
- At least 5 years previous experience working with vulnerable children, families and communities
- Solid experiences and demonstrated expertise in 1/ ensuring meaningful and qualitative child participation and 2/ working with communities and informal actors for the protection of children, including by measuring and addressing social norms; 3/ systems-strengthening approaches
- A solid experience in capacity development is key, particularly on developing training materials and delivering trainings
- Knowledge of system strengthening approaches is important, including in supporting alternative care reforms
- Prior experiences of working with children affected by migration is an asset
- Experience in designing and writing funding proposals
- Knowledge of institutional and private donors
- Experience of working in a highly collaborative environment with minimal direct supervision in a complex regional setting.
- Facilitation, networking and advocacy skills
- A commitment to excellence & attention to detail
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
How to apply
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JoVWmRZb?idpartenaire=20007
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418