Regional Director of Program Development and Quality (PDQ)
As a member of the Regional Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in East and Southern Africa, the Regional Director of Program Development and Quality (PDQ) delivers on a comprehensive portfolio of programmes aligned to the global strategy, while ensuring resource mobilisation, measurement of impact and programme quality across 12 country offices, 2 country programmes and with key stakeholders in the region.
The role holder ensures that all our work is aligned with child rights programming, and meets standards for child safeguarding and gender equality. S/he manages a large, multi-national team of direct and indirect reports to ensure cross-functional engagement in the development and delivery of Country Strategy Plans (CSPs), developing annual plans and reporting on results at the Country Office (CO) level.
S/he is responsible for overseeing development and delivery of high quality, evidence-based, innovative programs for children, in all contexts, that contribute to Save the Children’s global Breakthroughs: Survive, Learn, Be Protected. The Regional Director of PDQ ensures that a robust monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) system is in place, that all COs engage in the collection and use of evidence and that this is shared across the global organization, and that reliable data is used for decision-making. One key aspect of the role is ensuring capability building, mentoring and coaching of technical specialists in order to support program quality in line with global standards and key performance indicators.
As a senior leader in the regional office, s/he plays a representational role with the government, donors, partners, peer agencies, SC Members and others. The role ensures that a regional resource mobilisation team positions the country offices and Regional Programming Unit to attract funding from institutional donors, UN agencies, foundations and the private sector to match our strategic ambition.
In order to be successful, you will bring/have:
- At least 10 years’ experience in a senior role driving humanitarian and development programming in complex environments, including substantial experience with large scale programming and strategy development.
- Experience in developing and implementing organisational vision and strategies.
- Extensive experience managing diverse, complex and high performing teams and supporting professional development opportunities for national and regional staff.
- Demonstrated professional experience designing and implementing programming within at least one of Save the Children’s thematic areas (health & nutrition, education, child protection, child poverty and child rights governance) or regional cross-thematic areas (adolescents, climate, gender and partnership).
- Demonstrated ability to lead and thrive in a matrix management environment with a proven history of delivering results.
- Demonstrated experience in program design and research and evidence generation initiatives.
- Strong experience in structured program learning approaches, including design and implementation of action research methodologies that can guide programmatic excellence and policy change in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Cultural sensitivity, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation, training and coaching.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing strategic partnerships with key stakeholders like local NGOs, UN, donors, government and research institutions.
- Strong written and oral English skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build personal networks at field and senior levels.
- Experience in solving complex issues through analysis, defining a clear way forward and ensuring stakeholder buy in.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies.
- Willingness to travel in developing countries (varying, but expected to be 30-50% of time).
- An advanced degree in a relevant field either in relation to research, humanitarian and development studies, monitoring and evaluation or in one or more of Save the Children’s thematic areas (education, health & nutrition, child protection, child rights governance and child poverty) or cross-thematic areas (gender, adolescents & youth, climate) is considered a plus.
- Professional experience of the East and Southern Africa region considered a plus.
Contract duration: 2 years
Location: Nairobi, Kenya preferred, or any city where Save the Children has a country office in East and Southern Africa.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=bWtvZ2kuMzkwNzIuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcmVuYW8uYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t