arche noVa – Initiative for People in Need is an independent, non-religious, non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Germany working in the fields of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. The primary focus of activities lies in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Disaster Risk Reduction, Livelihoods and Food Security.
arche noVa is implementing projects for refugees, IDPs and host communities in Syria, Lebanon and Iraq. For the finance management and controlling of arche noVa’s humanitarian aid projects and transitional assistance in North Syria, Iraq and Lebanon in the fields of education, livelihood, food security and WASH, we are looking for a
Regional Head of Finance (MENA) (f/m/d)
The Regional Head of Finance (MENA) is either based in Erbil, Iraq, or Tripoli, Lebanon. The position aims at the implementation of a new financial management software tool, harmonization and adjustment of respective procedures and policies within the MENA Country Offices and missions, beside supporting the overall finance management teams with Mission specific responsibilities.
Position to be filled: September 2023
Duration: 2 years contract with a 6 months probationary period, extension is desired and planned. The position includes occasional field trips to North East Syria, Iraq and Lebanon.
1. Finance Team Management (SY Mission)
In the function as Finance Team Manager for SY Mission, this position reports directly to the Head of Northeast Syria Response in Erbil.
- Leading and supervising the finance team of SY Mission
- Ensuring effective budget controlling
- Supporting budget holders and field teams in financial management in compliance with donor regulations
- Providing and ensuring timely reporting, monthly closure and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts
- Providing regular financial reporting as required by donors and AN rules
- Providing continuously staff capacity building
- Conducting regular staff performance evaluations
2. Finance management and advisory support (general) to MENA region:
- Ensure compliance of all financial activities and filing in the country missions with AN procedures and donor regulations
- Supporting all budget holders in relation to project budget controlling, management, planning, revision and reporting in line with applicable regulations
- Ensure a strong cash flow monitoring and coordination with HQ for smooth cash flow
- Advising and supporting the missions in compiling financial reports as required by donors and the organization
- Advising and supporting harmonization of financial procedures in close cooperation with HQ
- Implementing, adjusting, improving and further developing and financial management procedures, tools and methods in close cooperation with HQ
- Providing training, coaching and capacity building to finance team staff in the country missions including in field offices and staff from local partner organizations
- Ensure that a substitute is available at all times in the event of staff absence
- Support audits in close cooperation with relevant HoM
3. Financial Management Software Tool implementation
- Leading the implementation of a new financial management software in all MENA Country Offices (IQ, SY, LB)
- Coordination between field project finance teams and finance accounting team at HQ
- Providing trainings and capacity building for local finance teams and other users of the new Finance Management Tool
- Revising and adjusting relevant organizational structures, finance procedures and policies in relation with the software implementation in close cooperation with all relevant stakeholders
- Ensuring, that the software tools are used in efficient way, enabling real time reporting under highest quality standards
- Optional: supporting and advising other missions
- Relevant degree in a specific field of study, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, or other relevant fields
- At least 8 years of demonstrated experience in an INGO or UN Agencies in similar position (> 2 years in a leading position)
- Experiences in implementing new financial management tools and procedures
- Experiences with funding and operation mechanisms in humanitarian and transitional aid (e.g. GFFO, BMZ ECHO, UN OCHA CBPF, UNDP, DFID, Unicef)
- Excellent donor financial reporting skills
- Excellent in English (written & oral)
- Motivated, proactive team member with high frustration tolerance and pro-active working attitude
- Willingness to travel to field locations if the security situation allows
- Flexibility, ability to work under stress and capacity to meet tight deadlines
- Able to work independently and pro-active
Nice to have:
- Experiences working in MENA context
- Experiences in change management
- Knowledge of German, Arabic or Kurdish
We encourage people with similar CVs and especially women to apply even when not all criteria are perfectly matched.
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale
- International health and hazard insurance
- Housing allowance (Iraq) / guesthouse (Lebanon)
- 2.5 days leave per month (30 days per year) in addition to up to 20 public holidays
- An international network and training sessions for your professional development
- A culturally-sensitive and up to date NGO and work culture on equal footing
Attention: the duty stations are in general not recommended for families
However, arche noVa is a family friendly employer and allows for flexibility regarding children or care work.
arche noVa is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At arche noVa we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
How to apply
Deadline for application: 30.07.2023; or as long as it is published
Applications are screened continuously and interviews can already take place before the deadline.
Please send your application documents (cover/motivation letter, CV and references) as well as your salary expectations in one pdf-document to Ms. Richter: firstname.lastname@example.org**.**
Subject: Regional Head of Finance (MENA)