CARE International in the East, Central, and Southern Africa (ECSA) region works in 14 countries namely: Burundi, DRC, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Madagascar, Mozambique, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
CARE International in ECSA is seeking professional photographers, videographers, and narrative writers to document CARE’s work in the region. All candidates who will meet the professional and technical qualifications will be included in the CARE roster of photo/videographers and narrative writers and contacted for related tasks on a need basis during the period 2021-2023. The selected photographs, videos, and narratives will be used for CARE’s advocacy and communication purposes and will be published in various publications, websites, social media, presentations, and campaign materials.
- Photographic, videography, and narrative writing services will be required throughout the year, on an as-needed basis.
- The consultant must have a good command of their photographic equipment (cameras, lenses, lights, filters, tripods), as well as photo-related image editing software.
- Service provision will include field trips to CARE’s country offices within the region and communities in which CARE is present to capture the situation of program participants in various settings and document CARE’s activities.
- In addition to supplying photos and videos, the photographer will also be required to submit photo captions. The captions should include names of subjects included in the photo, their age, location, and description of the photo.
- On a CARE assignment, the photographer is expected to show appropriate sensitivity towards the people they are photographing. The photographer is also required to follow CARE’s photography standards and to comply with CARE’s policies and procedures. CARE’s applicable guidelines and policies will be provided upon contract signing._
- The photographers will obtain the relevant written consent for photograph usage from concerned people/authorities.
- Capture professional high-quality images and videos for use both in print and online with a special focus on CARE.
- Collaborate with CARE ECSA’s Communications teams from pre-production to delivery of print and Audio/Visual content that will communicate CARE’s work.
- Take “in-action” shots of CARE’s work on the ground and the people CARE supports
- Recommend creative ideas to exceed expectations of goals and objectives
- Use artistic knowledge to enhance and compose photographs
- Review sets of photographs and select the best results
- Specific deliverables will be indicated in each assignment specific ToR
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a professional photographer
- Good knowledge of technical requirements and settings for taking photos in various settings (i.e., outdoor, indoor, portraits, group activities, etc.) is expected
- Experience covering social, humanitarian, and development subjects will be an asset
- Experience in excellent narrative writing and documenting of human-interest stories.
- Experience with CARE and /or other UN agencies and INGOs will be an asset**
- Knowledge of ethical standards in reporting on humanitarian issues, child protection, and protection of vulnerable people.
- Willingness and clearance to travel within the 14 countries in the ECSA region
- Ability to work with a very lean team.
How to apply
To apply please email the below requirements to ECSA.Procurement@care.org with the subject title subject title “Proposal for Photography, Videography and Narrative Writers” on or before 1st July 2021**
- Short profile, including CV, diplomas, certificates of photography-related studies of all who will be involved.
- Detailed individual portfolio showcasing a range of work (i.e. Humanitarian work, indoor conferences, portraits, group activities, etc.) with links to specific sites/media outlets/publications where the works have been published
- Current rate card
- A description of production capabilities:
- List of photography and video equipment
- Any related hardware and software to manage images.