Research and Policy Manager (Re- advertised)
The purpose of the role is to manage the external policy research and analysis for the Syria Response Office, supporting primarily child protection and Education in Emergencies programming, and humanitarian space/operational space issues. The role will support the AMC Director in identifying issues, developing research frameworks and policy analysis processes, as well as risk mapping, mitigation and management on issues identified areas.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Research and Policy Development and Implementation
* Support SRO’s Advocacy, Media and Communications team with a clear vision and integrated workplan and objectives for research and policy development;
* Lead the Country Office’s research strategy, ensure coordination and engagement across all departments to deliver on the strategic objectives. Identify priority issues for children, develop key advocacy messages and identify targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation. The postholder will hold primary responsibility for risk mitigation and management associated with the delivery on this strategy;
* Produce or support the production of reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences as directed.s;
* Maintain a strategic overview of issues effecting children’s rights in Syria, monitoring trends in the external environment and inputting and/or leading as required to organisational strategy and planning processes, in coordination with other team members.
* Ensure that voices of children are integral to SC’s advocacy and campaigning.
* Develop good knowledge of local and national government structures (in Syria and in key Member capitals), parliamentary and political processes and key decision making structures and how to influence them.
* Develop dissemination and communication strategies for key advocacy messages, together with communications colleagues.
Coordination & Representation
* Develop and cultivate strategic relationships with other agencies engaged in research and policy work in Syria.
* Support external advocacy coordination forum, including within AIDA, the Humanitarian Country Team, and the Education Cluster (EiE thematic working group),, promoting or ensuring inclusion of Save the Children prioritized child rights issues in these essential coalition fora.
* Represent SC at various policy forums and advocacy opportunities at national and international levels as directed.
* Liaise closely with staff in the Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns units within the Members, the Regional Office, and at the Center, and other fora to integrate and coordinate policy change initiatives throughout SCI members.
* Develop strong links with the Members for advocacy / awareness raising globally. Ensure development of the CO communications strategy, towards donors (working with the MRM) and other external stakeholders.
* Ensure that SC responds appropriately to emergencies, providing policy analysis and support around humanitarian space issues, and support the AMC team to meet emergency comms requirements, including sitreps, fact sheets, updates and other required products.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
* Master’s degree in Social Science or related field.
* A minimum of 8 years demonstrated experience
* At least 5 years experience in a humanitarian or development environment, preferably leading advocacy and policy change in the Middle East.
* Substantial experience in successfully leading the development of policy change analyses and implementation of advocacy strategies towards clearly articulated policy change agendas.
* Demonstrated ability to develop and lead research, data analysis and writing evidence-based papers and policy positions;
* Ability to design and manage databases;
* Experience in managing risks associated with research, advocacy and communications in high-risk settings, including in developing risk management plans and mitigation measures.
* Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
* Fluency in writing and presentation skills in English required
* Excellent skills in advocating towards government officials
* Strong skills in developing and implementing advocacy strategies
* Extensive knowledge of child rights and international humanitarian law
* Understanding of UN and donor operations at country level
* High level analytical and strategic thinking skills
* Experience in capacity-building and supporting the development of a team, including supporting junior members of staff to deliver high-quality output.
* Advanced understanding of protection issues arising from a conflict setting, impact on protected populations, and implications for humanitarian aid agencies.
* Preferably Arabic speaker
* Experience in participatory research methodologies, including child-led research;
* Sound command and understanding of the context in Syria;
* Experience in coordination of various stakeholders a plus;
* Experience solving complex issues through analysis;
* Has a strong international network within advocacy and policy settings;
* Demonstrable track record of leading change, resulting in significant results for the organisation and their stakeholders.
* Strong results orientation
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=aGViYWFrLjAwNzc1LjEyMTg1QHNhdmV0aGVjaGlsZHJlbmFvLmFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ