IMPACT / REACH
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian think tank, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative, which was created in 2010 to facilitate the development of information tools and products that enhance the capacity of aid actors to make evidence-based decisions in emergency, recovery and development contexts. The IMPACT team comprises of specialists in research design; data collection, management and analysis; GIS and remote-sensing. For more information visit: www.impact-initiatives.org and www.reach-initiative.org.
We are currently looking for a Research Reporting Manager to join our HQ team in Geneva.
· Position: Research Reporting Unit Manager
· Department: Research
· Supervisor: Head of Research
· Duration: Open ended
· Start date: ASAP
· Location: Geneva, Switzerland
The Research Reporting (RR) Manager is part of the IMPACT Research department, under the supervision of the Head of Research and supervising the HQ RR Unit.
The overall objective of the RR Unit is to ensure all IMPACT research cycles are meeting / exceeding IMPACT’s internal standards, wider academic research standards and overall research ethics in the data interpretation, data visualisation and research reporting practices being used (for both narrative as well as GIS-based information products).
To achieve this objective, the RR Unit:
· Provides day-to-day support and advice to IMPACT country teams on all aspects of research reporting, including review and validation of all information products (reports, key findings presentations, factsheets, situation overviews, maps, online/ interactive dashboards, etc.);
· Develops tools and guidelines and engages in internal and external engagement to strengthen and standardise research reporting, data visualisation & interpretive analysis practices within IMPACT;
· Contributes to IMPACT’s capacity building efforts vis-à-vis research reporting and GIS;
· Consistently strengthens quality of research within IMPACT through the capitalisation of best practices and implementation of lessons learned.
Within this setup, the RR Unit Manager will be responsible for (1) supervising the day-to-day workflow of the HQ RR Unit
(2) overseeing the process and outputs related to the research reporting stages of all IMPACT Research Cycles globally, and (3) directing the resources in his/ her sphere of accountability to achieve IMPACT’s strategic goals in the above – mentioned aspects.
CORE TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Day-to-day management of the HQ RR Unit, including:
o Coordinating Unit workflow and delegating responsibilities to team members to ensure all key priorities are dealt with in an efficient and timely manner
o Creating and maintaining shared team values, and monitoring individual and team performance/ progression to ensure goal achievement (and take action when required)
o As advised by the Head of Research, organizing Unit resources to achieve overall goals of the IMPACT Research Department
o Sharing relevant information and ensuring efficient, productive links are maintained with other Units/ departments within IMPACT**.**
Ensuring all of IMPACT’s information products (both narrative and GIS-based) are meeting internal quality standards as well as wider academic standards in the data interpretation, data visualization and research reporting practices being used, specifically by:
o Leading and coordinating the development of tools, templates and guidance materials related to the above
o Supporting the Head of Research with the roll-out of IMPACT’s internal capacity building strategy vis-à-vis the above aspects, including the coordination of relevant induction sessions for new, incoming field staff
o Ensuring methodologically sound as well as pragmatic, context relevant advice is being provided by the RR Unit to IMPACT country teams, and providing additional technical backstopping support and advice for effective implementation of research cycles when needed
o Supporting RR Unit members with the review and validation of key information products including (but not limited to) reports, presentations, factsheets, situation overviews, etc.
o Ensuring sufficient tracking and proper filing of research documents, outputs and tools across countries, including close coordination with IMPACT field teams
o Identifying and flagging potential risks (along with possible recommended actions) to the Head of Research in a timely manner
· Capitalizing best practices/ lessons learned for increased research quality within IMPACT
o Identifying ways in which the content, design, quality and accessibility of IMPACT’s information products can be improved, based on emerging best practices and innovations either within the humanitarian/ development sector, social sciences or other relevant fields
o When relevant, providing briefing to other HQ units and departments and/ or IMPACT country teams regarding key lessons learned, points of improvements or best practices
ADDITIONAL TASKS (ON AN AD-HOC, BY NEED BASIS)
· Contribute external engagement efforts related to research (trainings, technical working groups and taskforces, academic partnerships, technical peer reviews, etc.) as and when needed
· In coordination with other HQ Country and Global Programme teams, contribute towards:
o Development of standardised methodological tools, templates and guidance for REACH 2.0 workstreams
o Roll-out and maintenance of internal Communities of Practices related to research
· Provide other support for the implementation of IMPACT Research Cycles as directed, including in-country or remote surge to IMPACT country teams if necessary (up to 25%)
· Qualifications & Experience
o Good academic qualifications, including a Master’s degree or higher in relevant discipline (e.g. International Relations, Social Science, Social Research, Anthropology, International Development, Economics, etc.)
o At least 2-3 years of relevant work experience in a research and/ or information management role, ideally in humanitarian/ development contexts, with a specific focus on data visualisation and drafting of analytical/ information products
o At least 1-2 years of experience with team management in an international working environment
o Good understanding of research methods within the field of social sciences
o Good understanding of data visualisation and related best practices
o Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Word and good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
· Soft skills
o Attention to detail and commitment to producing high quality work
o Openness to feedback and willingness to learn
o Ability to manage time effectively and thrive in a fast paced, results-oriented working environment
o Ability to work independently, with initiative, while taking a proactive, solutions-oriented approach
o Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, including in remote work settings
· Fluency in English, French and/ or Spanish
· Working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Cloud software package (Illustrator, InDesign)
· Working knowledge of other data visualisation and/ or GIS software such as Tableau, ArcGIS, etc.
· At least 2-3 years of relevant work experience in implementing primary research projects in field settings from start to finish (e.g. needs assessments, monitoring and evaluation, etc.)
· Prior experience with processing and analysing both quantitative and qualitative data, including experience with analysis software such as R, SPSS, STATA, NVIVO, etc.
How to apply
Kindly submit to the following link: Research Reporting Manager | Impact (impact-initiatives.org)
In case you encounter challenges using the application form, please contact us via email@example.com