GIRL EFFECT TERMS OF REFERENCE
RESOURCE MOBILIZATION (INDIVIDUAL) CONSULTANT (RE-ADVERTISING)
Who We Are
Girl Effect is a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives.
Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development; a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems differently.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways that they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech that we use every day – from apps that build skills, TV dramas that explore virtual issues, and magazines written by girls.
In recent years, the funding portfolio of Girl Effect globally and locally has shifted away from being largely unrestricted to restricted funding. In Rwanda, we have had strong partnerships and funding relationships with UNICEF, the Mastercard Foundation, Care International Rwanda, and Gavi. During this financial year, it is a priority for Girl Effect Rwanda to (re)define and implement a fundraising strategy that will further support and secure the sustainability of our programming – via Ni Nyampinga. The Fundraising consultant will work with the Partnerships and Business Development team – to support Girl Effect to define and deliver its fundraising strategy and overall programme. They will revise the current fundraising strategy and support the organization fundraising to help Ni Nyampinga maintain its presence, reach, deepen its impact with youth audiences and build towards a sustainable future.
Timeframe: August 2021 – May 2022.
Scope of work/ Description of Services
Girl Effect is looking for an experienced Fundraising consultant with experience in programme design and a strong track record of creating and securing funding for programmes.
The consultant will be required:
To be part of the Partnerships and Development team and will work very closely with the Country Director to ensure that the right fundraising opportunities are sought in Rwanda, at the regional level, and internationally. The consultant shall be mainly focused on fundraising and should be able to write bids aligned to the donor’s work aimed at raising funds, negotiations etc. The consultant shall;
- Develop our donor pipeline, actively identifying new prospects, tracking and engaging with them.
- Lead on developing high quality and compelling capability statements, concept notes and proposals working with key contacts across GE Rwanda.
- Lead on the development and implementation of new prospecting plans, keeping abreast of development trends in Rwanda and peer organisations’ work in this field, and maximising opportunities for Girl Effect Rwanda.
- Manage key accounts as assigned, acting as a senior representative to enhance and amplify these relationships
- Identify and engage with key NGO partners to join them in consortiums and access donor funding taking advantage of existing fundraising forums such as the INGOs fundraising network group.
- Review and execute the Girl Effect fundraising strategy and set KPI to ensure delivery of set objectives.
- Oversee Girl Effect’s communications with donors and partner organisations, including social media, meetings, direct communications, etc.
- Review collaterals based on the new Ni Nyampinga model including standard decks, briefs, capability statements etc that Girl Effect staff can use in external meetings and as leave-behinds.
- Oversee internal communications within Girl Effect Rwanda and with Girl Effect global to keep the organisation informed on relevant news and developments coming out of Rwanda.
- A comprehensive resource mobilisation strategy that includes an overview of the situation, a critical analysis of past fundraising experience, exploring future opportunities and strategies, and outlining a time-bound action plan to systematically research and raise funds.
- To map out donor interests, priorities, funding windows, focal points, and actions to mobilise resources and develop and maintain relationships with donors.
- Develop a series of fundraising materials, both print and digital, including website content.
- Develop a donor master database for prospective/potential donors.
- Present to the GER Senior Management team and all staff the fundraising strategy, thinking and direction.
Who You Are:
- A deep understanding of the donor, development sector within Rwanda and the region.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in raising and managing donor and partner funds. Experience working with USAID, the Belgium Government, Sweden, FCDO is preferred.
- Proven experience in writing successful concept notes and proposals to donors.
- Experience facilitating and drafting funding strategies, and writing proposals
- Experience setting up Gantt charts, and other similar processes and systems.
- An excellent writer with outstanding communication and outreach skills: a strong presenter who can achieve high-level buy-in and rally partners for support.
- Experience producing pitch decks and designing partnership lifecycles for multinationals and international development organisations.
- Experience in mapping the partnership potential in-country – identifying both potential revenue streams, as well as, partners who will deliver impact against the target audience.
- Proven ability to work to, and deliver against, key timelines and deadlines through prioritization.
- A collaborative team player able to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds.
- A self-starter, dynamic with a high level of critical analysis and thinking skills and passionate about the work of Girl Effect.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a proposal (10 pages or less) that includes the following:
- Qualification and experience of the individual.
- Approach and methodology to undertake this Assignment underpinned by a demonstration of value for money.
- Previous experience in similar assignment(s) in line with the ‘Who You Are’ section above.
- A detailed financial budget (in RWF) and work plan. N.B. The technical and financial proposals will need to be submitted as separate documents.
The consultant will report to Girl Effect Rwanda’s Country Director and Senior Management Team who will also provide a general induction to the work, relevant background documents, and links to the relevant entities and/ or individuals across the wider organization and outside of it. The Consultant will however be expected to be self-motivated and able to work independently.
Proposals shall be evaluated against the following criteria:
(A) TECHNICAL PROPOSAL -70
i) A detailed understanding of the consultancy requirements:-15
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of how to support organization fundraising to help maintain its presence, reach, deepen its impact and build towards a sustainable future.-10
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of how to write bids aligned to the donor’s work aimed at raising funds.-5
ii) Methodology and work-plan that will deliver the best value on the Assignment: 30
- The relevance of the methodology proposed to the needs of the assignment. Bidders must outline their approach and design of implementing the assignment.-15
- Adequacy of the work plan, including key deliverables and timing, underpinned by value for money. Please refer to the specific tasks and deliverables sections.-10
- A strategy that demonstrates the capability to deliver different sections of this Assignment virtually and in person, as required and as appropriate in the Covid context.-5
iv) Relevant services undertaken by the bidder in past engagements: -25
- Demonstrable experience in programme design and a strong track record of creating and securing funding for programmes. Include short paragraphs outlining similar assignments conducted previously, along with contact details of references in those organisations should GE wish to contact them for a reference.-15
- Geographical Reach (Rwanda): Demonstrate relevant experience with the donor, development sector within Rwanda and the region to effectively carry out the assignment.-10
(B) FINANCIAL PROPOSAL -30
- Clarity, relevance, reality to market value/ value for money of cost for the assignment (inclusive of any applicable tax).-30
Applicants are advised to ensure that they have a clear understanding of their tax position with regards to provisions of Rwanda jurisdiction tax legislation when developing their proposals.
GER reserves the right to determine the structure of the process, number of short-listed participants, the right to withdraw from the proposal process, the right to change this timetable at any time without notice and reserves the right to withdraw this tender at any time, without prior notice and without liability to compensate and/or reimburse any party. GE shall inform the ONLY successful applicant(s). The process of negotiation and signing of the contract with the successful applicant(s) will follow.
How to apply
To apply for this opportunity please submit a proposal by email with the subject line “ Resource Mobilization Consultant ” to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1st, 2021, 5:00 pm latest.
You may be required to undertake safeguarding checks. Shortlisted consultants will be assessed on our organisational values at the interview stage. The successful consultant will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy. We encourage you to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found at www.girleffect.org/safeguarding. We have zero tolerance for all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries and staff.