General Description of GOAL
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian aid agency, with a team of more than 2,400 people dedicated to alleviating the needs of the most vulnerable communities in our world. Currently operating in 14 countries in Africa, Latin America and the Middle East, GOAL delivers a wide range of humanitarian and development programmes covering nutrition, health, livelihoods and emergency response. GOAL works to support communities to build greater resilience.
GOAL has an annual budget of more than €100 million and is supported by a range of donors including the Governments of Ireland, UK, USA, the European Union, individuals, Trusts and Foundations as well as the Irish public. GOAL values the power of partnership and works with local and international partners to achieve its mission.
Reporting to the GOAL Finance Director, the Roving FC will provide technical support to field Financial Controllers, provide training to finance and non-finance staff in country and further ensure that recommendations reported on previous visits have been acted upon in accordance with agreed timeframes. The role will also entail acting as an emergency financial management resource.
- Undertake support visits to GOAL field offices. Visits to GOAL field offices should be coordinated with other Roving staff, particularly the Internal Audit function.
- Terms of reference completed for each field office visit. Discussed and agreed with the Country Director and Finance Director, with a final trip report produced with recommendations and action points.
- Provide training to staff during a country visit.
- Visit country field offices to review finance functions
- Provide assistance in the event of upcoming donor audits.
- Provide cover to fields in the event of a significant gap with the Financial Controller position.
Standardisation of GOAL Finance Policies & Procedures
- Review key finance processes with a view of increasing their efficiency and effectiveness, developing them with head office and field finance controller input.
- Review current Finance manual and all associated appendices further enhancing standardisation and development in existing policies and procedures.
Technical Support to Field Financial Controllers
Provide technical support in relation to GOAL finance policies and procedures via support and monitoring visits or remote support. Key areas include:
- Technical support on Donor financial requirements, budget development and all subsequent reporting.
- Technical support on all cost allocations and month end processes.
- Technical support in relation to Sage and subsequent upgrades.
- Technical support in relation to finance procedures of local NGO partners.
- Technical support on cash management
Co-ordination of activities and support with other Technical team members
Work with other technical team members including the Internal auditor, Donor compliance and Logistics to ensure:
- Consistency of application of policies and procedures
- Work on policy development and implementation issues relating to cross-over areas
- Follow up as required on issues they request during country support and monitoring visits. Also review progress against the quarterly Risk Register
- Be available to travel to Emergency situations, at immediate notice, to assist in the initial office set up and oversee implementation and compliance with GOAL financial systems.
- Assist with developing donor budgets and providing financial advice to Emergency Response Team.
- Support to Chief Financial Officer and the Internal Audit and Donor Compliance functions when required.
- Undertake ad hoc finance and non-finance tasks as required.
- Qualified accountant. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent;
- At least five years INGO experience;
- At least 2 years at a senior management level;
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors such as USAID, ECHO FCDO and UN Agencies;
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational, management and training skills;
- Experience in performing audits, reviewing controls;
- Computer literacy, including advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel;
- Strong systems and controls experience;
- Willingness to travel and work in challenging environments
- Spanish or French an advantage
- Knowledge of SAGE200 accounting package preferred
- Ability to see bigger picture and willingness to perform all relevant financial tasks as necessary;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Experience of change management processes;
- Experience of managing and supporting teams remotely
Our package includes a competitive salary, 22 days annual leave and the possibility to join our Health care scheme. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Candidates must be entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to apply
Please apply here