Role: School Principal
Area: Education, Operations
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
Contract: Full Time
Starting Date: ASAP
Salary: 1350-1550, based on experience
Still I Rise is an international NGO with a mission to provide quality education to refugee youth. We established Still I Rise to respond to a precise need: provide education and a safe social environment to children around the world. We are now launching the first Still I Rise International school for refugees in Turkey, “Beraber”. Our international curriculum follows the California framework and the Still I Rise educational model based on four pillars: student-centered, school is home, teacher is a mentor and global thinking. The school aims to integrate the IB MYP and DP curriculum and framework to offer the students the highest quality of education.
The school principal should be a mission-driven person in charge of overseeing the schools daily operations, monitoring teacher performance and implementing the California curriculum standards in the international school. This position will become the IB MYP coordinator for the implementation of the IB MYP curriculum and framework in the international school curriculum. This position requires being a hard working and passionate manager that can create and sustain a safe learning environment and set performance goals both for students and teachers. Monitoring of this process to ensure these goals are achieved is crucial and delivery in a timely manner, essential. Successful coordination of the teaching faculty to carry out all necessary steps and projects to formalize and implement the Still I Rise educational model is central to this role.
Key education responsibilities
- Implement Turkish Ministry of Education laws and rules in the school, monitoring that the school institution complies with these requirements
- Ensure compliance with the California curriculum framework and implementation of the IB MYP curriculum and framework, in coordination with the Education Director.
- Set performance objectives for students and teachers
- Implement and monitor school policies and safety protocols
- Overview administrative tasks (e.g. updating employee records)
- Handle emergencies and school crises
- Present data from school performance to the Education Manager and Director
- Run teacher educational onboarding and training
- Supervise and observe classes and provide feedback, assessments and guidance to teachers.
- Run weekly teacher meetings and 1:1 meetings with teachers every two weeks to provide feedback and keep track of performance and deliverables.
- Support teachers with behaviour and class management, and attendance tracking.
- Oversee students behaviour and concerns, reaching out to them or their families in case problems occur.
- In accordance with the child specialist, implement behavioural plans in the classroom.
- Organize school events
- Perform other duties as required.
Key operational responsibilities
- Ensure Still I Rise’s International vision is being implemented in the country/program they are responsible for.
- Ensure up-to-date understanding of guidance, policies, procedures, and good practices
- Update the local team on the operations of Still I Rise International.
- Contribute to the strategic planning and growth of Still I Rise both locally and internationally.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Program, in collaboration with the logistic Manager and School Principal.
- Supervise and manage a coordination team, as well as overseeing the teaching department.
- Report financial situation and updates to the Programs Director.
- Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports to be shared with the Programs Director.
- Ensure timely submissions of work plans, reports and other deliverables required by donors.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships and communication with the donors and partners.
- Support Still I Rise in fundraising and advocacy work.
- Support the HR manager with staff recruitment
- Implement project management processes to assign responsibilities, set milestones, and keep track of performance and deliverables.
- Keep track of all finances and ensure expenditures are in accordance with the workplan and budget.
- Submit payment requests for the program whilst managing expenditure.
- Ensure procurement rules are transparent and followed by the Logistics Manager
- Attend and participate in scheduled meetings within SIR.
- Attend and participate in scheduled meetings with other organisations in Gaziantep.
- Assist in the recruitment of the management and teaching teams
- Analyze, assess and implement legal procedures for the set up of the program in Gaziantep
- Prepare program initiation document
- Interact with local stakeholders on behalf of Still I Rise to ensure our program is well received in the hosting community.
- Follow up with relevant stakeholders for our application as an International School with the MONE.
- Willingness to become a board member of Still I Rise Turkey.
- Network with other actors and stakeholders in the area in person and remotely.
- Deals with financial issues and paperwork as required.
- Managing risks and issues and taking corrective measurements
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated projects by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities or other relevant security bodies.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation, in coordination with the Programs Director.
- Two or more years of proven teaching experience in official or private education institutions or two or more years of proven experience as specialist instructor; knowledge of IB policies and requirements a plus.
- Knowledge of school administrative processes and Turkish national educational regulations
- Experience with teenagers
- Experience in team management
- Experience in project management
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to coach and inspire
- Experience with Google Suite.
- Turkish nationality
- Fluent English proficiency
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are invited to submit their application including their CV, the authorisation to process personal data, and a motivational letter by emailing:
firstname.lastname@example.org and specifying the object “SCHOOL PRINCIPAL”
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.