We are looking for an outstanding candidate who will leverage their professional experience and knowledge to provide practical advice and support to APT partners on legal and policy issues related to torture prevention, as well as identify new areas for development to implement the APT 2020-2023 Strategic Plan.
Advise and advocate for strengthened legal and procedural safeguards and reform of police practices.
Provide advice to, and strengthen capacities of legal and judicial actors in their role to prevent torture
Conduct practical research on legal issues related to torture prevention, including writing briefings and commentaries
Engage and mobilise APT’s network of partners on legal and policy issues related to deprivation of liberty, including regional and international advocacy
Develop materials and deliver training (face-to-face and virtual) on torture prevention to a variety of audiences
Contribute to APT external communication, and identify new areas for APT’s contributions to torture prevention
- A degree in law or criminal justice is a requirement. A degree in human rights is an asset. A minimum of seven years of relevant work experience is essential, ideally in the administration of justice, the prohibition of torture or in the field of deprivation of liberty
- Experience in the implementation of legal and procedural safeguards concerning deprivation of liberty is a strong asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish
- Training and public speaking experience; experience of representing organisations in high level meetings
Full application package: https://bit.ly/3xqCilr
How to apply
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 19 May 2021, 8 am (Geneva time). First round of interviews: week of 24 May. Second round of interviews: week of 7 June. Interviews will be conducted virtually.
Applications should be made in English, and include:
- A one page motivation letter.
- A CV (maximum two pages).
- Contact details of two recent professional referee
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com. (subject line: Law & Policy Adviser/Senior Adviser). Application material should be saved using the format: surname_name_lawpolicyadviser.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.