The mandate of the Office of the Quartet (OQ) is to increase Palestinian economic and institutional
development and empowerment. In the event of a resumption of final status negotiations, the OQ
would support Quartet members in their efforts to realize a successful outcome.
The OQ works to deliver its mandate in five key sectors: water, energy, movement and trade, rule of
law and telecommunications. In each of these sectors we use our unique position and deep expertise
to support the development of critical enabling projects, agreements, policy changes or institutional
development to deliver greater Palestinian economic development and empowerment. All
workstreams are delivered in line with national priorities and strategies and support progress towards
the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
The OQ works with a range of stakeholders to deliver its objectives, including the parties, members of
the Quartet, donors, and the international community. The OQ also works through different
coordination mechanisms, for example: by leading Task Force meetings on critical projects; by
providing regular updates and opportunities for discussion with Quartet members and other member
states; through the Netherlands-facilitated Trilateral meetings; and through twice annual meetings of
the Ad-Hoc Liaison Committee (AHLC) as well as the Local Aid Coordination Secretariat (LACS).
** Functional Responsibilities
Specifically, the Senior Economic Development Associate will contribute to the f…
** Education/Experience/Language requirements
Advanced University Degree or University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience
● 2 or more ( based on your credentials degree) years of relevant work
experience required in water and wastewater relevant areas.
Skills and Abilities:**
● Highly skilled in research and analysis: Very strong qualitative and analytic skills;
keen attention to detail and data accuracy is required.
● Excellent communication skills: Strong writing ability, skilled in creating knowledge products such as policy briefs, papers, guidance notes and other pieces directed at multiple audiences; ability to work under tight deadlines, juggling multiple competing tasks and prioritising demands is highly desired.
● Strong team player: Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact with high-level individuals across a range of organisations; customer-orientation and sound judgment; ability to consistently demonstrate a professional manner in dealing with individuals at all levels, both internally and externally to the organisation; team player and flexible as tasks and priorities shift; ability to self-start and troubleshoot without supervision; ability to work independently and in teams in a small office environment; demonstrated ability to excel in a multi-cultural environment highly desired.
● Other: Demonstrated competence with using standard office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) highly desired.
● Excellent command of written and spoken English.
● Knowledge of Arabic and/or Hebrew is an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
** Contract type, level and duration
The contract for this position will be issued by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) on behalf of its Client the Office of Quartet pursuant to an agreement between both parties whereby the successful candidate’s contractual rights and responsibilities will be managed by the Office of Quartet (OQ) office and not by UNOPS.
- Contract type : The position is open for internationals
- Contract level ICS 09 equivalent to IICA1 for internationals
- Contract duration : 3 months with possibility of extension based on performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to apply
Please visit our website through this link to apply for the vacancy: https://jobs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=21594#5