IRC is seeking a Senior Gender Based Violence and Protection Advisor (SGBV-PA) for a USAID-funded 5-year project in El Salvador to prevent GBV, improve and expand survivors’ assistance services, and increase judicial accountability for perpetrators. Programming interventions will focus on strengthening national organizations, civil society actors, and key stakeholders to implement social behavior change strategies and, ultimately, improve their capacity to deliver grass-roots solutions that are resilient and impactful. The SGBV-PA will manage overall gender-based violence technical program work and provide expertise on prevention, protection, and fostering accountability for perpetuators. S/he will be responsible for the technical excellence of the project and will contribute to scaling effective interventions in the areas of prevention, protection and accountability.
This position is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding and is anticipated to begin in November 2021.
• Provide technical leadership, direction, and expert consultation to achieve the greatest impact for reducing gender-based violence across the program activities and deliverables in-line with global evidence base;
• Support the integration of best-practices and evidence-based approaches to reduce GBV and improve gender equality outcomes through capacity development of program partners throughout project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
• Lead strategic work plans with clear objectives and achievement benchmarks, long-term and short-term priorities, implementation plans, financial projections and tools for evaluation;
• Lead and work with a diverse team of international and national coordinators and advisors and field staff, coordinating with technical counterparts at consortium partners;
• Provide technical support to the program by planning, monitoring and evaluating project activities; identifying technical assistance needs and assigning Specialists and consultants as appropriate;
• Coordination of technical team activities including technical field management.
• Regular communication and coordination with the Chief of Party and key home office staff on technical and project management issues;
• Conduct regular visits to project sites, as possible, to provide technical assistance and ensure proper implementation and monitoring of project activities;
• Produce inputs to monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports for the Chief of Party and donors, as needed.
• Advanced degree (PhD or MA) from an accredited university in social work, gender studies, public health, international development or related degree.
• At least 8 years experience managing program design, implementation and technical assistance for prevention and response to GBV programs, with at least four years of experience with work specifically in crisis or conflict-affected contexts is required, preferably in the Central America region and/or El Salvador specifically.
• Significant prior experience with social norms and behavior change interventions and system strengthening of GBV service delivery.
• Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring, especially working in close collaboration with local actors (local NGOs and/or CSOs and CBOs) and multiple national government institutions.
• Experience in technical tools and materials development, monitoring and evaluation, and research in relation to gender-based violence is highly desired. Experience in strategy development and working across sectors or disciplines is highly desired
• Strong influencing and negotiation skills and the ability to develop relationships with local counterparts, donors, and other stakeholders;
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written;
• Fluency in English and Spanish required.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to apply