Terms of Reference
Senior Inclusive politics adviser to the Hirshabelle State Presidency Advisor .
Duty station: Jowhar-Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
Reporting to: Chief of Staff -Hirshabelle State of Somalia
Type of assignment: Secondment
Duration: 1 year with a possibility of Extension subject to performance and availability of funds
Inclusive Sector in the President’s office is designed to build a democratic, transparent and accountable government, managed by a professional and committed public service, with an effective balance of power among the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government.**
The Inclusive Sector is comprised of two sectors: public administration and accountability. The Inclusive Sector further articulated the overall pillar objective into various objectives. Ensure a strong public administration through the enactment of just and effective laws and the development of responsive and inclusive policies, based on transparent processes and credible information and knowledge. Furthermore, the state acknowledges that as systems develop and the economy diversifies, consideration of governance will need to embrace wider elements, including economic and corporate governance which need apply to the private sector and to non-governmental organizations.
The Advisor will support the Hirshabelle State strive towards achieving its development stage, including economic development, social inclusion, sustainable peace, & inclusive politics to ensure an improved quality of life to the current & future generations. In addition, the Advisor will demonstrate the following:
· Leadership on the Inclusive politics pillar working group facilitating smooth coordination between the different stakeholders including international partners.
· Demonstrated experience leading the development & production of political outputs including organizational structure, briefings & consultation responses.
· Solid understanding of the Somalia political environment including establishing party system.
· Conduct political analysis and research on various structural matters related to the establishment of the political system.
· Provide advice on different political organizational issues and assist in drafting opinions, memoranda & other organizational documents.
The Advisor will frequently interact with the Federal Government Officials, Federal Member States, Donor Partners, Foreign Embassies, UN & AMISOM representatives as well as other international organizations on behalf of the Hirshabelle State of Somalia as necessary.
Key responsibilities and deliverables
· Finalize the legal frameworks on establishing local authority administrations in all areas of Hirshabelle State, through Cabinet’s mandates.
· Establish working mechanisms between the relevant institutions under the inclusive politics and local governance with coordination.
· Ensure cross-cutting issues are addressed in the pillar working group that is closely coordinated with various levels of the government and other relevant institutions and agencies and ensuring the President’s office remains up to date and informed on all matters pertaining to the pillar.
· Establish a process to ensure the selection of legitimate councillors who can elect district administration leaders, with a keen eye on the 2020/21 electoral process and ensuring the Cabinet is of appropriately no interference of the process.
· Carry out local reconciliation activities prior to the establishment of local administrations in respective districts.
· Develop strategic inclusive politics goals and delivery mechanism based on Hirshabelle State priorities
· Coordinate international development support to Inclusive Politics development in Hirshabelle
· Advise Presidency and sector line Ministries on immediate and urgent priorities related to Inclusive Politics development.
· Write weekly specialized pillar meeting notes and periodic assessments, evaluation and advisory papers for President’s Office.
· Support the Office of the Presidency in the development of the office strategic framework and work plans for program implementation to ensure the achievement of the government goals.
· Report all administrative issues to the advisory team leader, Hirshabelle Presidency Office
Monitoring and Evaluation **
· Contribute to the development of an M&E framework to identify key benchmarks and review specific milestones and indicators.
· Monitor progress of priorities and milestones.
· Compiling analytical report on the reconciliation efforts in the region, and, as developments occur, communicating with the president on a regularly basis.
· Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international relations, political science, economics, public administration, law, social sciences or related area.
· A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in coordinating Governmental and nongovernmental Institutions including management, policy and advising experience at senior levels.
- Previous experience working in inclusive politics in Hirshabelle state of Somalia.
· Fluency in English both written and oral (Advanced level)
· Fluency in Somali is an asset (Native or advanced Level)
The Inclusive politics Advisor will direct report to the Chief of Staff Office of the President Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
How to apply
How to apply
Equal Opportunities: We value diversity, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees.
This position is open to Somalis both in-country and the Diaspora. Interested Candidates especially female candidates who meet all the requirements are highly encouraged. Please apply and register by creating full profile with three references in NIS recruitment platform in below link: https://www.nisf-srp.com/
NB: Women candidates are encouraged to apply to these positions.