Chemonics seeks a senior research manager for the ongoing FCDO Syria Education Programme (Manahel). The project aims to provides access to safe, inclusive, and quality learning opportunities to children in Syria, while strengthening education actors to effectively manage education. The senior research manager will be responsible for leading the research front in the Syria Education Programme by developing research and learning agenda, assuring that all activities in this agenda are aligned with Manahel and the client (FCDO) objectives. This position will be based in Gaziantep, Turkey, with an option for fully remote work for individuals based outside of Turkey. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Develop and oversee implementation of Syria Education Programme’s research and learning agenda
- Link the research and learning agenda in with the wider Manahel MERL framework and with international literature on research methodologies
- Ensure that the research products reflect the voices of and SEP’s accountability to stakeholders. For example, ensuring the research agenda reflects the information that SEP’s client needs; ensuring the research we are undertaking isn’t extractive but is valued by the communities we work with.
- Draft research questions and methodology for suggested research topics and finalize it by working closely with the programme, and MERL teams and the Education Adviser
- Finalize research methodology and select appropriates data collection tools, sample, and locations
- Work with the programme team to assure that selected topics, research question will answer the programme need and to make sure that the methodology is appropriate and conflict sensitive
- Work with the programme team to turn evidence into action, adapting our programming based on research findings
- Analyze qualitative data as needed per the research agenda, designs KIIs and FGDs methodologies for field staff to collect qualitative data when needed
- After data and findings analysis, finalize the findings and suggest recommendations and next steps based on these findings
- Draft the final research outputs and presentations to be ready for submission to the client (FCDO), and presentation to the team, FCDO, Education Directorates, or other external audiences in line with SEP’s communications plan
- At least 4 years of experience in designing and utilizing research, and reporting of donor-funded projects
- Experience of conducting both quantitative and qualitative social research, including data analysis and reporting. Experience with qualitative and quantitative research software is desirable
- Bachelors’ degree in social sciences or related field
- Excellent communication, and writing/reporting skills
- Team player with the ability to also work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to communicate complicated ideas (including research methods) in a clear way to non-specialist audiences within the team
- Understanding of how to communicate findings widely to specialist and non-specialist audience, to influence uptake of findings/recommendations
- Experience writing concise research briefings and working with implementation teams to adapt programmes based on those findings
- Strong speaking and writing skills in English is required. Fluency in Arabic is strongly preferred but not a must.
- Knowledge and understanding of Syria context, conflict and security situation in Syria, previous experience in Syria desired
- Experience of working on education projects, particularly in fragile or conflict settings is desired
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV, sample of your research work (if the research was authored/edited by multiple people, please briefly outline your contribution in your submission; the research example should be written in English, it does not need to have been published), and cover letter attached and “Senior Research Manager” in the subject line to email@example.com by July 9th, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.