CARE International is one of the world’s largest humanitarian organizations fighting global poverty working in over 90 countries. CARE’s emergency response efforts are particularly effective because we view all our programs through a unique gender perspective putting women and girls in the center. Cash and voucher assistance (CVA) are increasingly becoming the modalities of choice for CARE’s programming. In fiscal year 2019, CARE used CVA in 37 contexts and since then there has been consistent upward trend.
CARE’s strategic ambition aspires to have all projects with CVA to be gender sensitive based on its organizational definition. CARE is committed to ensure that projects with CVA are designed with and for women and girls, addressing their needs, challenges and opportunities. As such gender sensitivity will frame the processes and outcome of the use of the modalities. This position is aimed to provide leadership in cash and gender and position CARE to be the go to organization for gendered cash programming.
This position is responsible for leading CARE USA’s strategic leadership on the use of the modalities as well as position the CARE Confederation global as a unique actor in the CVA landscape. The Senior Technical Advisor will represent CARE in global cash learning partnerships, the humanitarian clusters, and in other global platforms setting standards for cash programming with a focus on integrating gender.
The Senior Techncial Advisor will supervise a team of Technical Advisors and provide leadership in providing cash programming support to country offices and regions. S/he will liase closely with the Humanitarian grants unit to support fund raising for cash programming. S/he will maintain technical support relationships with CI CEG and other CMPs as well as participating in the CI humanitarian sector leads meetings. s/he will also be expected to maintain strong relationships with donors supporting CARE cash and markets programming.
- Provide leadership on Cash and Markets strategic intent
- Provide technical advisory services on CVA and market based approaches
- Supervise and maintain relevant capacities on CVA and market based approaches for team members
- Representation-internally and externally
- Team management and supervision
- Financial management and fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree or higher qualification on development studies/economics/social science/international relations or another relevant discipline
- Training in Cash and voucher assistance and market based approaches (CALP, MERS, sectoral such as WASH, GBV)
- At least ten years planning, implementing, designing of CVA and market-based approaches within different sectors as well as across several sectors
- Field experience in multiple countries
- Demonstrated capacity in technical advisory support and mentoring for multiple clients at one time
- Extensive experience in training (CVA and market-based approaches, and other areas of humanitarian response)
- Experience in implementing market assessment and analysis, combined with knowledge of key tools (EMMA, RAM, etc.)
- Experience in team management especially remotely
- Background in financial management (e.g. budgeting, budget follow up)
- Knowledge of donor CVA and market-based approach guidelines (e.g. USG, European, GAC)
- Experience in conducting strategic work at a regional or global level
- Knowledge of key initiatives in CVA (Grand Bargain, CaLP) and their key areas of involvement at the regional/global level
- Understanding of gender concepts and the linkages with market and CVA
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills in humanitarian programming, assessing emergency needs, market analysis, response analysis, and program design
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, prioritize work under pressure, and coordinate multiple tasks
How to apply
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at email@example.com.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.