About the IAS:
IAS – the International AIDS Society – leads collective action on every front of the global HIV response through its membership base, scientific authority and convening power. Founded in 1988, the IAS is the world’s largest association of HIV professionals, with members in more than 170 countries. Working with its members, the IAS advocates and drives urgent action to reduce the impact of HIV. The IAS is also the steward of the world’s most prestigious HIV conferences: the International AIDS Conference, the IAS Conference on HIV Science, and the HIV Research for Prevention Conference.
The IAS promotes and invests in HIV advocacy and research on key issue areas through our strategic programmes, initiatives, and campaigns that advocate for urgent action to reduce the global impact of HIV, including increased investment in HIV cure research; optimizing treatment and care for infants, children and adolescents with HIV in resource-limited settings; preventing and treating HIV-related co-infections; and expanding access to prevention, treatment and care for key populations vulnerable to HIV acquisition – such as men who have sex with men, people who inject drugs, sex workers and transgender people – including protecting their human rights by combatting punitive laws and discriminatory policies.
More information on IAS can be found at www.iasociety.org.
Details of Employment:
The Social Media Officer will be based in Geneva, Switzerland and report to the Senior Communications Officer – Engagement. The position is open-ended and full-time to start as soon as possible.
Purpose of the Position:
The incumbent will articulate and implement a social media strategy that positions IAS – the International AIDS Society – and its messages at the heart of conversations around HIV and global health on social media.
The post holder will ensure that social media engagement ties in with wider IAS engagement and campaigning efforts and create an online environment conducive to reaching IAS objectives.
- Articulate an IAS social media strategy ensuring alignment of accounts, engaging the target audience and maintaining editorial discipline
- Develop and maintain a consistent brand tone, image and style online
- Listen and engage in relevant social discussion about the IAS and the HIV and global health field
- Run regular social promotions and campaigns and track their success, as well as the content and links posted through these and other channels
- Work with the multimedia officer, style editor, and other content creators and influencers to create engaging social content
- Review, proofread and edit completed work before posting
- Articulate KPI reviews and interpret social analytics to measure and guide the effectiveness of engagement strategies
- With the Digital Communications Officer, manage SEO (search engine optimization) and generation of inbound traffic
- Produce written content for the IAS website
- Format Mailchimp (or similar) email newsletters
- Publish content on the IAS website.
Perform any additional tasks requested by the Senior Communications Officer – Engagement.
- University degree in communications, global health or related field; or a first-level university degree in combination with communications experience.
- At least 4 years’ experience working with social media and at least 2 years’ experience overseeing and managing social media for an organization with multiple social media accounts.
- Experience using social media management software (such as Sprout and Hootsuite)
- Blogging / writing for web experience
- Experience in HIV / Public Health a plus
- Experience with CMS (content management systems), such as Drupal and WordPress, a plus.
- Excellent story-telling competence
- Ability to work against tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; a demonstrated ability to create persuasive and clear communications in all forms, for a variety of audiences
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and attention to detail
- Stress tolerance and resilience, ability to work under pressure with multiple and shifting priorities
- High-energy self-starter who can operate with minimal supervision but also knows when to ask for counsel
- Ability to work well as a team member, as well as work independently
- Basic understanding of the HIV/AIDS and/or the global health landscape an asset
- Basic Photoshop and/or Adobe Creative Cloud skills a plus.
- Native English or full professional proficiency is a requirement (oral and written)
- Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only candidates from Switzerland, from an EU/EFTA country or candidates already having a valid Swiss working permit to work full-time will be considered.
IAS employees are evidence-based, human rights-focused, inclusive and accountable partners in the HIV response. Candidates should display genuine commitment to IAS values (learn more here).
The IAS is committed to recruiting and sustaining a skilled, effective, diverse and gender-balanced secretariat, and to the greater involvement of people living with HIV (GIPA) in all aspects of its work. People living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.