COOPI is looking for an Area Coordinator and Project Manager in Sudan
COOPI has been present in Sudan since 2004 and in more in specific in Kassala. The recent history of Sudan is marked by strong disorders and violence, expressions of a civil war that on several occasions has shaken the country since its independence. Since 2019, COOPI’s interventions focused also in the Kassala region that for a long time has been the scene of armed clashes and particularly hit by periods of severe drought.
The Area Coordinator is responsible for overall management and strategic direction of COOPI programmes in Khartoum. The programmes cover but are not limited to DRR, WASH, Shelther. The Area Coordinator will represent COOPI with the local and regional government bodies, especially government agencies, partners, beneficiaries and other (I)NGO’s as part of regular and quality communications to maintain good relations. The post holder will need to clearly understand and ensure fair, accountable and transparent management of programme, finance and human resources and promote a learning environment for staff and the organisation. The Area Coordinatorwill also be responsible for compliance to Standard Operating Procedures for safety, security and general operations. Moreover, the Area Coordinator will be responsible of the direct implementation of the projects assigned.
- Overall responsibility for the design, implementation and effective monitoring of agreed projects and activities.
- Ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of all activities and processes.
- Ensuring the analysis of data collected (at various levels) to inform activity changes to improve programme quality.
- Ensure the development and implementation of all activities in line with Common Humanitarian Standards (CHS)) and COOPI programme policies
- Proactively seeking funding opportunities to scale up and/or expand activities working closely with the Country Director and Head of Programs. This includes identifying and undertaking assessments and writing concepts and proposals.
- To oversee Khartoum programming with field visits and ensure quality of programme delivery.
- To be engaged strategically with all technical sectors as need and provide management and strategic input/oversight.
- Oversee and provide strategic support to program teams.
Coordination of field operations
- Participate directly in work of those supervised to provide hands-on training and support, inclusive of assistance in handling difficult situations
- Provide support to Project Managers to solve programs’ implementation problems related to logistics, procurement and security.
- Ensure the compliancy with COOPI procedures (logistic, finance, security).
- Ensure that the procurement, logistic and administration departments are efficiently managed.
- Prepare internal and donors reports and other periodical reports as required.
- Act as human resources focal point person for program and support staff, including expatriates based in Khartoum, assuring, in coordination with the Administrator, a sound implementation of COOPI staff policy.
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate staff in performance of their duties
- Assess staff skills needs and organize relevant staff training and upgrading session.
- Manage the security implementation plan in program areas in all its aspects, including supervision of security guidelines implementation by COOPI staff in charge and emergency and evacuation procedures.
- Assure that equipment related to security is properly functioning, which includes supervision of check up and maintenance procedures and timely replacement of equipment when necessary.
- Coordinate regular collection of information from areas of intervention. Prepare Security reports and timely inform the Country Director on security matters.
- Participate to ad hoc security coordination meetings in Kassala.
- Consult with aid agencies and other relevant stakeholders on the ongoing security situation as well as their security procedures. Assure that COOPI Sudan in Kassala is actively part of the ongoing security network.
- In coordination with the Country Director, regularly revise and update COOPI Sudan – Khartoum internal security procedures.
Liaison and networking
- Coordination of liaison activities with the Government of Sudan bodies in Khartoum, which includes registration procedures, preparation of agreements, preparation of documentation for permits.
- In coordination with the Country Director, represent the organization in coordination fora, with donors and with international and local agencies.
- Regularly participate to coordination meetings in Khartoum concerning implementation, operational and security matters. Assure that feedback of information is channeled internally.
Education / Experiences
- University degree in social sciences, business or technical sciences.
- A minimum of five years of relevant working experience is required.
- At least three years of demonstrated successful experience in international relief and development in a similar position is required.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities, IOs and NGOs
- Fluency in English language.
- Computer literate.
- Experience in logistics, procurement and security matters is a strong advantage.
- Previous work experience in Sudan is a plus.
- Proven capacity to work in a team is essential. Experience in managing staff is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure.
- Experience in working in conflict-prone environments a plus.
- Arabic knowledge is a plus
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter – https://www.coopi.org/it/posizione-lavorativa.html?id=4313&ln=