Contract length: open-ended
Hours: 20 to 40, depending on availability
Location: Remote (available during CET core working hours)
Application deadline: 15 August 2021
Translators without Borders (TWB) is committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
The Terminology Officer will support in implementing TWB’s terminology management strategy and ensure TWB is providing quality language services to its non-profit partners. Lead in maintaining and developing TWB’s terminology resources, and collaborate with other team members in developing valuable resources for its community of translators and the humanitarian industry. Reports to the LS Process & Technology Coordinator.
- Manage the entire life-cycle of multiple terminology projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Work on processes such as terminology extraction, documentation, translation, and general terminology base maintenance;
- Develop terminology processes in accordance with industry standards and production needs;
- Assist in the implementation and integration of a new terminology management system;
- Assist in QA monitoring, managing non-compliance requests, and reporting on terminology metrics;
- Collaborate with members from different Teams in TWB on tasks related to terminology and process management;
- Collaborate in the design, implementation and monitoring of terminology validation strategies in research or production environments;
- Carry out administrative tasks, data entry, and data collection;
- Performs other tasks as assigned. Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and implementing agencies.
- University degree program (preferred degree in translation, communication, or a related field);
- Knowledge of theory and practice of terminology (concept-based approaches, terminology and translation);
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in terminology, translation, language service project management, or related industry positions;
- Familiarity with technology with a special focus on terminology management, corpus management, and/or translation tools;
- Excellent command of English, both oral and written. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage;
- Strong communication skills, with a particular focus on intercultural contexts;
- Previous experience in translation and/or interpreting (internships and volunteering are considered valid experiences);
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations is an advantage.
The Terminology Officer position is very dynamic. The right person is an energetic team player and an individual who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work remotely while interacting regularly with the international team.
- Self-starter and able to work independently;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Analytical thinker able to transform ideas into tangible actions;
- Understands that communication in the right language is key to improved humanitarian response;
- Team player, collaborative, adaptable and self-motivated;
- Interested in acquiring translation and terminology management experience;
- Able to adapt to new technologies and learn new skills quickly;
- Has enthusiasm for humanitarian work;
- Reliable and flexible and has the ability to uphold the Core values of the organization.
TWB recognizes the importance of precise language in communication and translation, and works to build term bases and provide glossaries or other terminological assets to facilitate vital two-way communication between the people affected and humanitarian responders. This happens both remotely and on the ground. This has the potential to shift the power dynamic in emergencies and international development contexts, placing control of communication and information access in the hands of the people in need of support.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
How to apply
Application deadline: 15 August 2021
To apply, please click here