Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an International Charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO helps NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improves their situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs in seventeen of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance and professionalism.
The Cameroon programme, until June 2021, was covering the Far North region of the country under INSO’s Lake Chad Basin regional programme that supported over 121 NGOs to deliver vitally needed aid and assistance to an estimated 8 million people in need across the region. First launched as an emergency response operation in 2016, INSO LCB has grown to become a regional programme, present in the Lake Chad Basin. INSO will continue to cover the Far North region from Maroua and open a field office in Buea to cover the South-West and North-West regions, as well as a country office in Yaoundé.
INSO is now seeking an experienced professional to join our team as Training Manager for Cameroon.
The primary aims of the post are to lead and deliver security management trainings to international NGOs operating in Cameroon in contrast to many training positions, an INSO Trainer is also responsible for monitoring and advising on the operational application of the training after the courses have finished.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced humanitarian training professional with experience in curriculum development, delivery and impact monitoring and with a keen interest in INSO, Cameroon and/or the Lake Chad Basin context, and a passion for capacity building of NGOs.
Responsible for the development and delivery of; Introduction to Safety and Security, Essentials of NGO Security Management, Advanced NGO Safety Management, Crisis Management courses, and Humanitarian Negotiations; as well as the development and implementation of other context specific courses.
* When requested, conduct an adequate needs assessment to identify additional training needs of NGOs within the scope of the INSO mandate.
* Design and incorporate monitoring and evaluation tools to enhance and contribute to INSO’s quality approach.
* Constantly review, evaluate, and adapt to the context developed training materials as necessary and identify and suggest other training areas where INSO can add sustainable and operational value to NGO practice.
* Help manage the public perceptions of INSO’s work to establish and maintain recognition of its mandate for independence, impartiality, and neutrality.
* Prepare post-training reports to the program manager with lessons learned and analysis.
* Maintain a thorough and accessible database of training and training participant data.
* Assist senior management staff in the day to day running of the country programme and provide support to operations where required.
* Experienced safety and security trainer with both academic and practical experience (prior military service or law enforcement, experience considered).
* At least 2 years providing training in the humanitarian safety sector, specifically at the field level.
* Experience in design, development, and delivery of safety training curriculums for NGOs.
* At least 3 years working in conflict environments, preferably as a humanitarian worker.
* Experience working with diverse teams and able to organize people around deadline-driven events.
* Familiarity with the philosophy, priorities, and principles of humanitarian NGO approaches to security.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-cultural and close-knit team to deliver results on a deadline.
* Fluent in French and English (written and spoken)
* Willingness and ability to travel to the field, including in remote and insecure locations.
* Experience in staff capacity development and training.
* Experience with NGO project management, including donor reporting and relations.
* First-hand experience of crisis management.
* Prior experience in an inter-agency role.
* Existing information networks and/or local language skills.
* Detailed understanding of INSO mandate & services.
* Working knowledge of Cameroon and Lake Chad Basin neighboring countries’ security dynamics.
Key Personal Competencies
• A good listener
• An effective communicator
• Excellent analyst
• Team player
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• A people manager
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references;
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address;
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified;
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract, €4550 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 3 days of R&R every 3 months with €750 Allowance, global medical coverage (excluding USA), USD 200,000 AD&D coverage
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to send a completed application (requirement below) to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Training Manager” in the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
* Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 pages maximum).
* Updated CV (5 pages maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.