DanChurchAid (DCA) invites applications for an experienced Trauma Medic for its Syria programme. This is a non-family position, based in North East Syria.
The Trauma Medic’s main responsibilities are to provide medical assistance to all DCA survey, search and clearance activities in North East Syria and to also train, mentor and capacity build National Medics. The Trauma Medic reports directly to the Sr. Trauma Medic and is overseen by the Operations Manager.
You will work in a potentially hostile and arduous environment. You will therefore need to demonstrate a positive and self-motivated attitude. Conditions in Syria require a level head, problem solving, a great deal of flexibility and attention to detail. If you have these qualities and skills, and you are looking for a challenging opportunity with a leading mine action and humanitarian NGO then we would like to hear from you.
The main duties relating to this position are as follows:
- Provide medical assistance to the DCA survey and clearance teams and to conduct training and capacity building of DCA staff in the Syria programme.
- Provide technical medical oversight of relevant field operations over the components for which you are responsible, including training, daily operational planning and implementation, and the direction and discipline of locally employed medical staff.
- Line manages, supervise and mentor the HMA program’s ambulance team, including drivers and trauma medics.
- Provide technical input to the Medical Coordinator and Operations Manager to prepare/update country specific medical SOPs.
- Comply fully with DCA NES Medical SOPs and Treatment Protocols.
- Recruit, train, and capacity build national trauma medics. Prepare and follow a tailored and structured training plan, and conduct regular training, both theory and practical, with all supporting documentation.
- Assist the Senior Trauma Medic in performing surveys of clinical and medical facilities in DCA locations and foster relations with medical staff and possible evacuation assets.
- Responsible for proper use and maintenance of all medical related equipment, such as vehicles, radios, medical equipment, etc.
- Keep updated on all current methodologies and approaches relevant to Humanitarian Mine Action; advise the Senior Trauma Medic / Operations Manager about necessary updates and changes in existing tools, training, and procedures on a continuous basis.
- Other appropriate tasks, as requested by the MedCo and or OM;
Additional responsibilities include:
- Ensure compliance with humanitarian principles and core humanitarian standards;
- Act as a positive leadership role model, motivating, directing and inspiring staff under your management to succeed;
- Develop and drive a culture of excellence, continuous improvement and performance optimization across all mine action projects;
- Be a role model for diversity and inclusion, as well as a positive role model for contributing to the team spirit.
Applicants must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Civilian / Military Paramedic qualifications with minimum 2 years’ experience in a similar position or a Nursing Diploma with minimum 2 years experience in Pre-Hospital Emergency Care, Emergency Department, or Intensive Care Unit.
- Current Registration and Practising Certificates from authentic and relevant administration bodies.
- BLS, ACLS and ITLS/PHTLS Certifications.
- No previous records of Medical Malpractice (Moral, Legal and Ethical)
- Ability to read, write and understand English with any level of Arabic as an added advantage.
- Experience working in hostile / unstable environments is desirable.
- Ability to lift an adult on a stretcher (70kgs and above) with the help of a colleague.
- Acceptable physical and mental fitness levels.
- Understanding of the humanitarian principles linked to NGO field and operations contexts;
- Regional experience strongly preferred;
- Work experience in remote and insecure field locations;
- Strong leadership, team building and communication skills;
- Flexibility and cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Computer literacy essential including proficiency in Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of Arabic would be advantageous.
- 12 -month contract with the possibility of extension;
- A competitive salary package;
- 30 days of paid annual leave;
- A generous R&R allowance;
- Insurance as per industry standards;
- An interesting and challenging experience addressing humanitarian needs.
All qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion, or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us. Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding policy.
How to apply
Only online applications consisting as a minimum of a CV and a cover letter will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: 12 September 2021; however, interviews are expected to be held on a rolling basis and DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the closing date.