Position Location: Washington, DC
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 20 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The Vice President assumes a key strategic role at Creative, responsible for leading the Division effectively, providing a clear vision and a strong sense of purpose and organizational direction. The position works closely with Creative’s executive and senior management teams to plan the strategic course of the division by identifying new business opportunities and program initiatives aligned with corporate goals and values.
The successful candidate brings a dynamic blend of passion and deep expertise in program management, new business, client relationship management and exceptional staff mentorship and management. S/he thrives on leading their teams into new technical areas and geographies, growing the division and the company. S/he must have a track record of growth and management of large, dispersed teams and programs operating in challenging environments. The Vice President, leading by example, must demonstrate unwavering commitment to our core values and uphold corporate standards as well as advance organizational change working with all units to identify and implement new/improved business processes that will drive Creative forward.
- A sound new business development agenda is planned and executed; a successful proposal win rate is achieved that meets Creative’s fiscal targets.
- Deliver on financial targets including division contribution margin, net margin and a low rate of unbillable expenses.
- High rates of billability within the Division are maintained; sound project management and control for all the Division’s projects is executed and aligned with the firm’s management and operational models.
- Excellent client satisfaction and relationship is maintained with high CPAR or other client scores achieved across all programs.
- Broad organizational objectives are achieved, some of which extend beyond the division’s traditional domain.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Vice President reports to the Chief Operating Officer and supervises the Division’s Practice Area Directors. Current Practice areas include Political Transitions; Stabilization & Development; Citizen Security; and Democracy, Governance, & Electoral Integrity.
- Demonstrates Creative Associates’ values and practices by utilizing effective management and leadership principles.
- Provides strategic and operational leadership for ongoing program activities and developing new business in focused technical areas.
- Achieves financial performance targets including annual revenue, contribution margin, and annual win target while keeping unbillable expenses low.
- Recruits staff as appropriate to develop needed skills sets and capabilities.
- Serves as a thought leader and key spokesperson in international development, internally and externally; leads efforts to capture and disseminate innovations, best practices and lessons learned, and creates opportunities and incentives to share knowledge across the company.
- Motivates staff performance and professional development, develops skilled managers and mentors, and exercises sound judgment in recommending hires, promotions, and termination of staff.
- Actively advances Creative Associates’ leadership position in international development; models and advocates strong leadership principles in the home-office and overseas, promotes continued learning and knowledge sharing and proactively engages in effective problem-solving on behalf of departments, clients and beneficiaries; and
- Establishes a workplace environment that fosters teamwork and promotes collaboration across the Company, acknowledges and rewards staff contributions, and develops strategies to enhance synergies.**Qualifications**
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience in relevant technical competency areas.
- Recognized by others as an expert in stabilization, citizen security, and political transitions in fragile state contexts and/or in public sector governance and anti-corruption.
- Demonstrated track record in understanding market trends and opportunities, and positioning for and winning new business
- Minimum 15 years project and staff management experience within the field of international development and operations; preferably at one of the implementing partners, with at least 5 years responsibility for a division, region or sector.
- Thorough knowledge of company’s main clients and their expectations and operations
- Demonstrated understanding and fluency in financial management at practice and division level and financial and accounting systems and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to solve extensive complex, multi-faceted managerial and operational issues which require extensive knowledge, tact and diplomacy, and sound judgment.
- Proven ability to provide leadership and vision, and motivate teams to produce quality results, expand new business efforts and contribute to the successful operation, management and industry reputation of the company.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise staff and provide oversight of multiple project teams and new business efforts.
- Ability to conceptualize, outline, perform, and direct research and writing of technical documents (reports, proposals, professional articles) following Creative Associates’ style and best practices;
- Prior service in a senior management position (COP, DCOP team leader, director) in the field is preferred.
- Ability to travel overseas.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Creative Associates International Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran.