WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Terms of Reference:
With the growing relevance and importance of communication and advocacy in the Emergency Operations Division (EME) activities, a visual designer’s support is essential to drive transformational change at global, regional and national levels.
The visual designer will report to the communications officer.
- Visual Design
a. Use a wide range of media (including photography, motion animation and graphic design) to present EME’s activities and advocacy efforts;
b. Ensure visual consistency on all publications, reports and products whilst maintaining and strengthening WFP branding.
c. Create and develop designs for any publications produced by the division. Archive and maintain such products for future use.
d. Provide design edits to presentations as required for EME management and audiences in the OPSCEN.
e. Provide technical support and advice on the use of design programmes including Powerpoint, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Indesign.
f. Provide user Interface support for OPweb and design features when required.
- Working in close collaboration with the Communications Officer to support the design needs of the division, specifically through the following tasks:
a. Support in designing and producing communication materials such as newsletters, infographics, booklets and factsheets, in line with the Division’s Communications Plan.
b. With the Communications Officer, edit, improve and offer guidance on existing communication materials.
c. Build staff capacity in the Division, particularly on basic design features. Providing ad hoc training to individuals/teams as and when required.
d. Work with the Communications Officer to design communications materials for specific projects such as launching new products or workshops and events delivered by the Division.
e. Work with the broader Communications, Advocacy and Marketing division on internal and external products, including social media campaigns, advocacy products and visual storytelling.
- Any other duties as required by the EME Division, working in close collaboration with the Communications Officer and EME management.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
University degree with a major in graphic arts, graphic design or multimedia communication.
A minimum of 3 years of experience in web graphic design. Experience working in the humanitarian sector is an asset.
Knowledge and skills:
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
· creative thinking;
· eye for design and high attention to detail;
· ability to adhere to production schedules and meet deadlines and work under pressure as part of a team and manage conflicting priorities;
· ability to understand users’ needs and to customize services and products accordingly, in order to provide user-friendly solutions that meet user requirements;
· ability to work independently while asking questions and seeking support in a fast-paced work environment. Experience in using Social Media in a professional context.
· Proficient in MS Office package, particularly in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
· Excellent graphic / artistic / design skills.
· Solid understanding of the concepts of user experience, user interface, design principles and conceptual design.
· Good understanding of interactive design principles, usability, and branding.
· Strong skills in web and graphic design software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Figma.
· Solid experience with Content Management Systems (CMSs).
· Experience with BI platforms like Power BI or Tableau is a distinct advantage. Knowledge of HTML and CSS will be considered an asset
Fluency in spoken and written English required. B1 level of a second UN language is a great asset.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 12 May 2021
Ref.: VA No. 142056
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply