Position Start Date: 15 September 2021
Duration: 12 months
Working time 100%
Location: Erbil – Iraq (none family posting, with frequent visits to the field)
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in around 40 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 4 million children and members of their communities, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh is currently implementing a large-scale emergency and rehabilitation program throughout the country in Baghdad, Ninewa, and Kirkuk Governorates with activities held in frontline and second line.
In this context, you are responsible for the overall management and development of WASH programming implemented in Iraq. You ensure the monitoring of qualitative and operational aspects of the delegation’s programs in Iraq on a day-to-day basis. You guarantee the smooth functioning of WASH activities on the bases.
Quality Programming Defined, Established and Implemented
- Provide technical and management leadership to the WASH Program in accordance with best practices and Tdh policy
- Ensure the management and implementation of delegated portfolio of projects within the program (activities, budget, plans of action, and project documentation) in line with proposals, objectives, strategies, and donor requirements while ensuring high technical quality
- Alert line management and Field Coordinators in charge of program implementation in case of a delay associated with a WASH program and suggest changes which could be made
- Ensure that personnel, financial and logistical resources are meeting needs for a smooth implementation of WASH programs, especially within the framework of new project suggestions, in coordination with the Field Coordinator and the Deputy Country Representative/Program. In the case of a delay, alert the coordination team and participate in identifying solutions
- In support of the WASH Project Managers, follow quarterly, monthly and weekly activity plans to achieve expected results, providing oversight and support on programmatic and operational aspects
- Identify needs and gaps in programming and proactively suggest new activities and strategies to enhance protection and education programming
- When new operations are outlined, ensure that operational means are well defined in order to allow WASH program and its subsequent monitoring to be well carried out
- Contribute to the development of country sector strategic direction, plans and proposals
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders and partners to ensure better coordination and representation of Tdh
Strategic and Operational Development
- Keep informed of changes in the humanitarian and political context in the area of intervention, particularly WASH related, ensuring that these subscribe properly to Tdh’s mandate and the country strategy
- Suggest to the Coordination team to identify WASH needs and participate in the identification of these needs, if necessary
- Propose new operations to the Coordination team and be directly involved in the project design. Ensure that the documents associated with these new operations are complete, respect Tdh’s internal procedures, follow the format of the Donors and are validated by the Deputy Country Representative – Program before sending to HQ
- Participate in preparing a mission Strategy contributing on WASH aspects, involving local and international teams in reflection workshops that lead to recommendations/suggestions to the Coordination team
Quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- In collaboration with the M&E team, supervise the WASH teams and Project Managers to conduct and facilitate regular monitoring and evaluation activities, and liaise with partners to identify gaps and challenges as well as to ensure quality impact of the WASH approach
- In collaboration with the M&E team, develop and roll out plans and tools to ensure data are collected to better report on activities and to improve quality services for beneficiaries including needs assessment, baseline and impact surveys
- Contribute to periodic internal and external reporting as per donor and Tdh guidelines, respecting deadlines and workflow
Coordination and representation of Tdh
- Coordinate with other humanitarian partners and local authorities in the target areas, as relevant for the effective and efficient implementation of the WASH program
- Participate in WASH meetings and clusters and follow up with Cluster Coordination at base-level
- Contribute to Cluster and humanitarian coordination mechanisms, including reporting and updating interagency tools
- Represent the organization locally amongst donors, NGOs, International Organizations and local authorities and report representation action to the Country Representative in your periodical report, communicated ad-hoc when necessary
- May be called to travel within the region to meet Tdh partners
- Share information and situation of the wash sector impacting on the functioning of the delegation with the DCR Program and participate in the smt meeting upon request
Ensure the technical monitoring of the WASH activities
- Ensure the compliance of technical practices with the mandate and operations policy of Tdh by guaranteeing a permanent connection between base, coordination, and HQ levels
- Ensure that the strategy of the WASH programs complies with technical frameworks of Tdh
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development
- Support the identification and finalisation of human resource needs for the smooth implementation of the WASH program, in collaboration with the Coordination
- Carry out recruitment when needed, in respect to the local regulations, in collaboration with the WASH Project Managers, Field Coordinators and in coordination with the Human Resources department, including writing of job descriptions and candidate selection processes
- Support and identify professional development needs of the team, raise to Coordination team and develop capacity building priorities and response
- Provide CP and Education Project Managers with ongoing staff monitoring, supervision, and support, including regular and constructive feedback
Ensure the logistical and administrative monitoring for WASH programs
- Ensure that logistical, administrative, and financial procedures are respected by WASH teams and alert the coordination team if gaps are observed in order to take corrective action
- When necessary, give consent for local WASH purchases and submits purchase requests to the relevant department and HQ for approval (in accordance with internal rules and donor guidelines)
- Comply with TDH Security Regulations
- Report any security/safety incident and/or risk to the security focal point, line management and/or Country Representative
- Supervise the WASH equipment and stock on the mission and ensures they are properly utilized
- Undertake all other duties that may be determined by the Country representative and that are compatible with the job
- Maintain and ensure a culture of strict confidentiality – inter Tdh staff and between Tdh staff and non Tdh employees
- Education: University degree in Humanitarian field and/or in Project management
- Language: Fluent in English, Arabic is an asset
- Experiences: At least 2 years of experience in humanitarian project coordination and in WASH project management in humanitarian context
- WASH background and technical competencies
- Experience in emergency WASH activities implementation and in expatriate team management
- Excellent writing skills
- Leadership, ability to make decisions, to analyze and synthesize and to work in emergency situations
- Organized, sense of human relations, interpersonal and communication skills, proactive, rigorous, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 3’700 CHF (~3’050 €) < > 4’800 CHF (~4’000 €) net salary/month according to experience x 13, Annual Leave: 25 days per year. Contract includes also local accommodation and transportation, health and repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
How to apply
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JmrqupSx?idpartenaire=20007
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.