Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is looking for a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Coordinator to oversee and implement a regional WASH strategy in conflict-affected areas of Ukraine.
Organization: Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH), Warsaw-based international non-governmental organization with mission in Ukraine
Position: WASH Program Coordinator
Location: Kyiv or Dnipro security situation dependent (PLEASE SPECIFY DESIRED LOCATION in application)
Job terms: Full time
Type of job: Employment Contract
Duration: 2 years (with a 3-month probation period)
Starting date: ASAP
We strongly encourage qualified candidates to apply immediately as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is an international non-governmental organization that provides humanitarian and development assistance worldwide. Since 1992, PAH has operated programs in 46 countries, supporting sustainable and stable development of regions suffering the consequences of armed conflicts, natural disasters and other humanitarian crises.
Operating in Ukraine since August 2014, PAH is uniquely positioned with a wide network of partners and donors to deliver humanitarian aid to the most vulnerable conflict-affected people during this crisis. PAH provides assistance to internally displaced people and the elderly and single mothers, working in the sectors of Protection/Advocacy, WASH, Food Security/MCPA, Shelter/NFI and MHPSS. PAH Ukraine is rapidly expanding its operations in response to the armed conflict and seeks dynamic candidates comfortable with a fast-changing environment who are eager to scale operations quickly.
Visit www.pah.org.pl for more information.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- This role carries both coordination and management responsibilities. You will design, coordinate and manage regional WASH operations to reduce risk of WASH-related diseases and ensure efficient and effective WASH activities.
- Identify the needs of displaced and vulnerable populations and conduct and communicate needs assessments.
- Collect and analyze primary and secondary data from different sources related to WASH needs and design, develop and implement WASH strategy and projects in coordination with WASH country technical lead and other regional coordinators.
- Assist in developing emergency plans of WASH action and implementation of activities.
- Ensure that technical quality and standards are followed during throughout WASH project cycle
- Build relationships with and ensure effective communication with team and WASH stakeholders including funders, partners, and local authorities.
- Support Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) efforts as needed, modeling and instilling a mindset of continuous improvement with on-the-ground team and providing full cooperation and support to both country and global MEAL efforts.
- In coordination with Ukraine WASH technical lead, support professional and technical development of local WASH staff and stakeholders; manage, coach and support field team including WASH engineer and officer.
- Assist in recruitment and assess the capacity of the team, train team members, and support the team’s professional and capacity development as appropriate.
- Develop monitoring and reporting tools and enable efficient use of resources in coordination with operations and logistics staff.
- Be agile. This is a dynamic situation where the context can change rapidly; your ability to adapt the WASH strategy as the security and humanitarian context changes is key to providing the greatest benefit to displaced and vulnerable populations.
- Job description and responsibilities may change or evolve depending on the trajectory and nature of the conflict and crisis.
The successful candidate will be selected based on the qualification requirements described below:
- Expertise in Water, Waste-Water, Hygiene, and Engineering.
- Bachelor’s degree in hydrology, civil engineering, or WaSH related areas. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the WASH sector, and experience in the Humanitarian Sector with a preference for experience in conflict zones.
- Minimum 2 years experience managing and coaching engineering teams.
- Proficient in the standard suite of management software (MS Office Suite, Google Drive, etc) as well as sector-specific software and tools.
- English language fluency.
- Familiarity with the Ukrainian or Russian language even basic, is an asset.
- Experience working Eastern or Central Europe a plus.
How to apply
Please fill in the online application form and submit your resume (max 2 pages) and cover letter in English no later than June 4th 2022. In your cover letter please indicate your earliest possible start date.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Due to the urgency to fill the post, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. PAH reserves the right to close the job opening before the deadline.