Terms of Reference
Associate PSP Officer IICA-1 (UNOPS)
Marketing & Emergency Section (PSP),
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is advertising for an Associate PSP Officer position within the Private Sector Partnerships Service, Marketing & Emergencies Section in Copenhagen, Denmark. UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions. UNHCR is almost entirely funded by voluntary contributions from governments and private donors.
- Title: Associate PSP Officer
- Duty Station: Copenhagen, Denmark
- Duration: 1 July 2021 – 31 December 2021
- Contract Type: International Individual Contractor, IICA 1
- Closing date: 9 th June 2021
The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR’s Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources from the private sector for refugees. PSP’s Marketing & Emergencies Section focuses on donor communication, campaigns and emergencies to drive growth. This section plays a pivotal role in meeting UNHCR’s fundraising goals and in making the emotional connection between the public and the UNHCR brand to increase engagement.
Based in Copenhagen, the Section is responsible for developing and coordinating global fundraising campaigns, promoting UNHCR brand awareness, producing donor-driven content for the PSP network worldwide, fundraising and engagement campaigns and strategic communication for PPH partnerships. More specifically, the PSP Global Content Team – housed within the Section – is responsible for producing donor-focused multimedia content to engage existing and potential private sector donors, as well as support the PSP network with the acquisition, retention and development of both individual and other donors (corporations, foundations and private philanthropists). Position The Associate PSP Officer will assist the PSP Global Content Team in delivering compelling and relevant donor-focused content to support PSP’s market affiliates and national partners in engaging and raising funds from private sector audiences, including individual donors, corporate and foundation donors and high-net worth individuals. The incumbent will work in close collaboration with other members of the Marketing and Emergencies Section, and will liaise frequently with internal and external stakeholders.
As a member of the PSP team, the Associate PSP Officer will be responsible for helping to progressively increase income to UNHCR from the private sector through the development of stronger fundraising communications for both Individual Giving (IG) and Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) audiences.
Duties and responsibilities
Working within the content team to produce engaging and relevant donor-focused content for the PSP network including:
• Preparing content for donor appeals and global fundraising campaigns, including for digital use.
• Researching, writing, and producing human interest stories, key messages for donors and other material for regular PSP thematic content packages and donor updates.
• Producing PPH content and assets, including impact stories.
• Ensuring the effective uploading and archiving of content on the Refugees Media library.
• Planning and/or taking part in content gathering missions to the field as needed, including coordinating all logistics and external participants such as commissioned photographers.
• Supporting the recruitment of consultants/external support staff as required.
• Editing and proofreading of various assets.
• Pitching ideas and participating in team brainstorming on how we can build new streams of content/reach new donor segments. Distribute PSP content strategically to further growth in the PSP network:
• Updating the Marketing and Emergencies Trello calendar and other informationsharing platforms, to enhance information-sharing and coordination across different content gathering teams
• Coordinating, with the team’s Fundraising Communication Officers, the sharing of content assets, campaign news and other updates with the PSP network via email, SharePoint digital workspace or other platforms
• Answering PSP network queries, as needed
• Develop strong fundraising communication content for both IG and PPH programmes, in coordination with the other members of the content team
• Support day-to-day communication between the PSP HQ team and the network of PSP offices and national partners
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• A university degree (BA) in business/marketing, media/communication, social sciences or a related field.
• Minimum 3 years (2 years with advanced university degree) of previous experience in communication at the professional level gained in an international context in one of the following settings: a not-for-profit organisation, global media outlet or a marketing/fundraising consultancy firm
• Previous experience as a Public Information Officer or similar communications role would be helpful (especially UNHCR experience)
• Experience in planning and participating in field missions, including coordinating mission logistics
• Experience in developing fundraising communication material for donors
• Experience in managing projects and liaising with multiple stakeholders
• Proven experience in content management and curation
Key Competencies Required:
• Advanced writing and editing skills in English
• Excellent research skills
• Proven track record of writing and adapting content for different audiences and channels, including digital
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Sound understanding of social media landscape
• Proven track record developing effective social media copy and/or assets
• Computer literacy, with a good knowledge of computer applications
• Understanding of fundraising, including campaigns, cause-related marketing and corporate fundraising
• Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop or email marketing software desirable
• Knowledge of a second UN language (Arabic/Chinese/French/Russian/Spanish)
This position is a full-time role starting from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
The successful candidate will be based with the UNHCR team in UN City, Marmorvej 51, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark.
How to apply
To learn more and apply, visit https://bit.ly/2SAfNKL .
Closing date for the receipt of applications: 9 th June 2021 at midnight (Copenhagen time)
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.