I. Position Information
CIOP Research Specialist
17 October 2021
Reporting directly to
Head of Labour Mobility & Human Development, IOM-Bahrain
Overall supervision by
Chief of Mission, IOM-Bahrain
Requirements for application
Submission of CV and Cover Letter
See application section below for further information**
*II. Organisational Context and Scope
The International Organization for Migration’s mission in Bahrain has been acting as the Management Site of an inter-regional initiative focusing on the design and management of tailored orientation programmes throughout the labour migration cycle. The ‘*Comprehensive Information & Orientation Programme’,* under the patronage of the Abu Dhabi Dialogue, supports Governments in holistically addressing the information needs of prospective and current migrant workers. This approach could contribute towards supporting well-informed decision-making, enhancing skills to effectively navigate work and life abroad as well as assist managing different components of departure and return.
IOM is establishing a Centre of Excellence, aimed to provide a wealth of services, technical expertise and resources to serve IOM missions and stakeholders with the design, development and management of CIOPs. This Centre will be housed within the Labour Mobility & Human Development (LHD) Unit of IOM-Bahrain.
The CIOP Research Specialist will be responsible for activities that support clients to become better informed about information gaps and labour-related challenges along with concrete recommendations to strengthen information provision for prospective, current and returning migrant workers. This will primary include carrying out mapping and needs assessments in line with the CIOP approach, as well as drafting reports to detail findings and recommendations.
The CIOP Research Specialist will report directly to the Head of LHD in IOM-Bahrain and will be expected to work closely with other members of the Centre of Excellence, the LHD Regional Thematic Specialist for the Middle East and North Africa, as well as the Migration Research Division.
III. CONSULTANCY OBJECTIVE
The objective of this consultancy is to provide monthly reports outlining the progress made towards activities that support clients to become better informed about information gaps and labour-related challenges along with concrete recommendations to strengthen information provision for prospective, current and returning migrant workers. **
IV. SCOPE OF WORK
The CIOP Research Specialist, with support from the other members of the Centre of Excellence, will be responsible for developing knowledge products that support clients to better understand informational gaps and labour-related challenges of prospective, current and returning migrant workers, in line with the CIOP approach and methodology. This will also include recommendations to address these gaps and challenges and strengthen information provision as a whole. This Specialist will also support any process of validation necessary.
S/he will be responsible for the following:
Leading Mapping and Needs Assessments:**
· Lead gender-sensitive mapping exercises relating to migrant information and orientation, building on CIOP resources and methodology;
· Tailor existing CIOP tools to collect primary data from different stakeholder groups, in coordination with the CIOP MEAL Officer and the CIOP Training & Capacity-Building Specialist;
· Support the recruitment of data collectors in countries of focus, including developing Terms of Reference;
· Orient and liaise with data collectors in countries of focus, with support from relevant IOM missions;
· Conduct and oversee primary and secondary data collection to map the following in countries of focus: labour migration trends and frameworks of governance, institutions/legislations relating to orientation, analysis of active information programmes (e.g. content, structure and delivery mechanisms), monitoring and evaluation measures, informational gaps, challenges and best practices.
Developing National and Regional Reports
· Draft national and/or regional needs assessment reports, analysing challenges and best practices and proposing concrete recommendations and ways forward;
· Prepare reports and powerpoint presentations required to inform clients and stakeholders of results of mapping, needs assessments and recommendations.
· Coordinate with the Migration Research Division to ensure full alignment with IOM guidelines and standards;
· Work closely with other members of the Centre of Excellence;
· Provide regular progress updates to the Head of LHD in IOM-Bahrain.
Producing Knowledge Products for the Centre of Excellence
· Produce knowledge products that highlight the benefits of the CIOP approach, including short policy briefs and research reports outlining promising global practices of migrant orientation programmes.
V. DELIVERABLES AND SCHEDULE
The schedule of delivery is expected to be as follows:
Indicative time-frame for delivery
1st CIOP Research Progress Report
4 weeks from signing the contract
2nd CIOP Research Progress Report
8 weeks from signing the contract
3rd CIOP Research Progress Report
12 weeks from signing the contract
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organisational principles/rules and standards of conduct
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimise results
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organisation’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
VII. REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Master’s degree in social research, migration/development studies, training/orientation or a related field;
· At least 5 years of professional experience in a field relevant to labour migration, research programmes or capacity-building targeting migrants;
· Demonstrated background and skills in research methods (including policy research) and data collection, with experience in conducting multi-country research;
· Strong technical knowledge of labour migration and mobility;
· Excellent writing skills, with a proven ability to write informative and accurate reports as well as summarize findings in publishable quality;
· Meticulous and very attentive to detail;
· Strong conceptual and analytical abilities;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment;
· Ability to work under time pressure and deliver work of outstanding quality.
· Professional fluency in spoken and written English is required;
· Knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset.
IX. CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
Contracted consultants are not permitted to use any of his/her gathered data, reported findings, contributions to the draft and final reports to further his/her personal research.
How to apply
Qualified interested candidates should submit their CVs together with a 1-page motivation letter to IOM Bahrain (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before 09 September 2021. Please write “*Application to CIOP Research Specialist Vacancy*” in the subject of your application email. Applications received after this date will not be considered.