Position Title : Database Officer
Duty Station : Gaziantep, Turkey
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 22 July 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of) Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of Head of Sub Office – East South East and Mediterranean Region (ESEM) Turkey Region and the direct supervision of the Information Management Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of information management activities at the International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) sub-office in Gaziantep in relation to IOM Turkey Portal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of the Integrated IOM Country Office (CO) Portal:
• IOM Turkey’s Operational and program units maintain their own databases. These databases are integrated and centralized into a portal which acts as a common platform of whole CO.
• Assist in creating new modules of the system; Modify and upgrade existing ones according tothe needs.
• Develop dynamic reports and dashboards.
- Document user requirements and analysis for the design, coding, and deployment of applications to be created using Microsoft Technologies focusing on .NET applications with SQL Server, following existing standards.
- Provide technical assistance in all aspects of data protection and database security, such as database backup, recovery, conversion, and interface (data exchange or extract) procedures.
- Coordinate and implement team’s calendar and different business processes regarding the portal.
- Support the effective implementation of various Information Management (IM) tools for other units (as the part of Information Management Unit’s (IMU) mandate); ensure regular monitoring as per agreed timelines; Support in supervision of the data collection processes and the overall data management activities including encoding, storing, and transferring data from Central Data warehouse as well as processing, and support to the analysis of the collected data and information locally.
- Facilitate and provide technical guidance on the effective use of the designated information system and other databases to assist in the implementation of the information management mechanism.
- Provide technical support for the planning, design and implementation of CO’s IM Systems and reporting tools.
- Facilitate the timely preparation and generation of local level information products, and participate in information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels.
- Document gaps on data and information relevant to the Refugee Response program and contribute to finding appropriate solutions.
- Coordinate the development and enhancement of the integrated, methodology for data collection and information packing as required and needed by project.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Development, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience with the management of databases and information systems including design, development, implementation, and maintenance.
• Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Access, Excel, Word, etc.) including VB for Application (VBA) is an advantage.
• Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Power BI and/or other visualization tools is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Turkish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 22 July 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 09.07.2021 to 22.07.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 157 Database Officer (P2) Gaziantep, Turkey (57077369) Released
Posting: Posting NC57077370 (57077370) Released