The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, nongovernmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its in the sites of Central Greece as Plumber/ Handyman. Under supervision of the Site Operations Officer and in close collaboration with other DRC field units, the Plumber or Handyman has responsibility for supporting the development and implementation of all DRC plumbing care and maintenance activities, as well as small-scale repairs in appointed sites under DRC’s area of responsibility and providing liaison with local authorities and other humanitarian actors to ensure a meaningful and coordinated intervention. The Handyman or Plumber will ensure a high quality, integrated approach to site management support, including oversight of site operations, shelter interventions, NFI and food distributions, community mobilization and general protection activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Plumber/ Handyman’s responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
· Being able to perform any physical tasks regarding the site care and maintenance issues
· In charge of the use, the maintenance of all tools and the tool kit
· Any other tasks assigned by the SMS/Site Operations Team to support DRC’s emergency response
· Control and maintenance of water supply and sewerage network
· Checking water adequacy and any possible leaks
· Inspection and repair of plumbing, toilets, showers, solar water heaters etc
· Recognize damages and inform the relevant SMS/SiteOps supervisor
· Other work such as piping maintenance, using joints, clamps, bolts, cement, plastic solvents and generally the tools and components required for normal plumbing work
· Locating and replacing problematic fragments, pipelines, etc.
· Perform maintenance and light-duty repairs. Undertake duties as assigned or emergency tasks
· Paint and fill small gaps and cracks on walls, ceilings, sidewalks etc.
· Repair plumbing equipment
· Replacing any problematic parts, assembling or dismantling in terms of plumbing and any plumbing related construction materials, fittings etc. by using connectors, clamps, screws, bolts, tools and other parts needed for maintenance works
· Assist tradespeople with plumbing or HVAC repairs
· As necessary, overseeing activity of contractors to ensure smooth, reliable and effective implementation of any maintenance works
· Keeping records of the own work done and producing detailed reports
· Interventions reports requiring specialized tools and machinery Tracking of the sewerage system and the relevant subcontractors
· Monitoring and maintaining the existing site infrastructure, by identifying any repair needs and inform the Site Operation team accordingly
· Actively contributing to the implementation of measures to minimize negative environmental impact
· Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
· Keep records of work and produce detailed job report
· Plumber Certification, Technical school diploma or higher in a relevant field would be an advantage;
· At least 2 years of previous working experience in a related field (experience in the NGO sector under the Greek context would be highly evaluated);
· Experience with hardware tools and electrical hand-equipment;
· Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing or HVAC systems;
· Good verbal and written Greek skills; Working knowledge of English and Arabic is an added advantage;
· High professional ethics;
· Driving license would be an advantage
Required Skills & Qualities
• Core Competencies of DRC:
o Striving for excellence
o Taking the lead
o Demonstrating Integrity
• Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
• Organizational skills
• Ability to analyze information
• Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics
• Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
• Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
• Multi-tasking and organizational skills are must, and a good sense of humor
• Strong initiative with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle
• Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
• Ability to cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Larisa (camps in Central Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
How to apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line**: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies.** All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English**.**
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 8th of August 2021. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.