The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Humanitarian Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
ECHO is recruiting One National Staff to be based in Pretoria as a Programme Officer.
- Duties & Responsibilities
The Programme Officer (PO) will carry out activities to ensure an effective humanitarian response. The PO will work under the supervision of the Technical Assistant(s) but will be required to work independently to enhance the effectiveness of the support provided in the Southern Africa & Indian Ocean Region (SAIO). The PO will be required to travel/undertake missions on his/her own within the SAIO region on a regular basis and for extended periods as may be requested /needed. He/She will be responsible for the following main tasks: –
- Contributing to designing ECHO’s overall strategy,
- Analysis of ECHO partners’ proposals and assessing policy compliance and coherence,
- Appraisal, monitoring, evaluation and coordination of projects,
- Reporting and programme administration,
· Liaising closely with ECHO country offices, EU Delegations ad EU Member States in the coordination of ECHO projects in the SAIO region.
A detailed Terms of references (including competencies) are available at https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/south-africa_e
- Relevant second level university degree or equivalent professional experience,
· Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in managing programme/project operations, including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO’ donor or national/international organisation; If no advanced degree, a minimum of ten years’ work experience in the humanitarian sector will be required.
- Excellent knowledge of ongoing humanitarian situation in the SAIO region will be considered as an advantage.
- 3.Required Skills
- Thorough knowledge of the Logical Framework Approach and Project Cycle Management,
- Very good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system as well as humanitarian aid principles, policies and standards,
- Fluency in English (oral and written),
· Excellent Knowledge of French And/Or Portuguese will be considered as an advantage,
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
· Personal initiative: ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
· Ability to analyze and process complex information; ability to convey information clearly and concisely to others with excellent drafting skills in English.
How to apply
Applications including a cover letter, a detailed CV, a copy of education certificate/degree and a copy of relevant employment certificates should be sent to http://uhiredme.com/PO-PRY until 17/05/2021 at 18:00h. The vacancy reference REF: “ECHO/PO/PRY” must be clearly indicated in the subject line. This position is open to nationals and other residents of South Africa with a valid work and residence permits. DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and developments opportunities.
For information, the employment conditions that could be proposed includes an initial contract of one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 3 months’ probationary period and after positive annual evaluation. As an indication, the monthly basic salary range is between ZAR 60,235 (minimum) and 110,997(maximum) (subject to local tax law). The salary will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate. In addition to this, the employee will also receive disability/retirement allowance, 13th month salary as well as a medical coverage.
ECHO employees observe the National Staff code of Conduct which is available on the link:
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who will not have been contacted by 31/05/2021 should consider that they have not been selected. Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.
“Any processing of your personal data will be done in accordance with the applicable EU legislation (Regulation (EU)2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data.” The privacy statement can be found on ECHO website. https://ec.europa.eu/echo/sites/echo-site/files/privacy_statement_recruitment_ns_final_version.pdf**