Position Title : Programme Support Officer (Shelter & WASH)
Duty Station : Gaziantep, Turkey
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 26 August 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to support populations affected by forced migration and improve living conditions of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
The conflict and violence in Syria continues to cause large-scale displacement of populations. Over 6 million people remain displaced inside Syria. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to vulnerable IDPs living with host families and in increasingly crowded camps and settlements. The combination of an extremely large, displaced population and the accelerating rate of new arrivals is posing a growing challenge to reception communities’ capacity and host government’s response mechanisms.
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) – through Resolution 2533 – allows the UN and its partners to provide cross border assistance from Turkey to Northern Syria. IOM Turkey’s cross-border humanitarian assistance in Syria is managed from Gaziantep. Along with the provision of Non-Food Items (NFIs), IOM’s Shelter, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) programming are amongst the largest being implemented by IOM Turkey.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (Shelter and WASH), the successful candidate will support the Programme Officer on the technical supervision and implementation of Shelter and WASH’s activities for the Cross-Border operations managed from Turkey and implemented inside of Syria. Work will be carried out in accordance with holistic settlement approaches, including close coordination with other IOM programmes including CCCM to support site decongestion, and participation in the Shelter/NFI and WASH clusters. The role will require contributions to partner capacity building in distribution, programme and construction management.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to proposal design, project development and revision of Donor reporting. Consolidate and provide technical inputs for programme development, and the development of recommendations and approaches.
- Provide technical inputs for the development of strategies and contingency plans that respond to new and emerging operational challenges in the context of Northwest Syria (NWS) through a consultative process with the programme staff.
- Support the implementation of the Shelter and WASH projects (activities and project documentation) as delegated from the Programme Officer in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and facilitate high technical quality.
- Assist with the delivery of high-quality Shelter & WASH activities by IOM or implementing partners, in accordance with the agreed Country and Shelter & WASH strategies, tools and guidelines. This includes – but is not limited to – supporting the achievement of Value-for-Money; compliance with global, national and local standards; supporting the compliance of all Shelter & WASH projects with Housing, Land and Property (HLP) requirements; meaningful consultation with affected populations throughout the project-cycle; needs-based targeting and selection; and integration with other units where relevant.
- Provide technical support and plan and coordinate implementation of IOM shelter and WASH activities inside and outside of camps in Northwest Syria between IOM, implementing partners and related stakeholders.
- Support and participate in the development of tools, SOPs and guidelines for different Shelter& WASH projects in close coordination with the Programme Officer and other Shelter and WASH project staff.
- Provide regular progress reports to Programme Officer.
- Organize and participate in capacity building and training activities for IOM and implementing partner’s Shelter and WASH staff in relevant competencies.
- Liaise and coordinate with different clusters and stakeholders as required.
- Carry out appropriate data and information management processes required for tracking and reporting on the implementation of IOM’s projects and share information with the Programme Officer and other relevant units.
- Facilitate protection mainstreaming in all Shelter & WASH related activities throughout the project-cycle. This includes – but not limited to – safety and dignity of beneficiaries, understanding their diverse needs, enabling meaningful access to IOM’s services, adequate accountability to affected populations and participation and consultation.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven technical experience in shelter/WASH operations preferably in emergency and conflict environments;
• Has significant Shelter & WASH technical experience to guide the technical part of Shelter and
WASH project component;
• Experience in emergency operations, programme design, including support to displaced populations and refugees;
• Experience in project development and report writing skills;
• Experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting.
• Excellent Monitoring and Evaluation Skills; Managerial Skills. Organizational Skills; Accuracy;
Ability to work with limited supervision;
• Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
• Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners.
• Demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with local staff and other stakeholders.
• Familiarity with the Syrian context is an added advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency in Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 August 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 13.08.2021 to 26.08.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 190 Programme Support Officer (Shelter & WASH) (P2) Gaziantep, Turkey
Posting: Posting NC57126747 (57126747) Released