About the International Foundation for Election Systems (IFES): IFES advances democracy for a better future. We collaborate with civil society, public institutions and the private sector to build resilient democracies that deliver for everyone. As the global leader in the promotion and protection of democracy, our technical assistance and applied research develops trusted electoral bodies capable of conducting credible elections; effective and accountable governing institutions; civic and political processes in which all people can safely and equally participate; and innovative ways in which technology and data can positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in more than 145 countries, from developing to mature democracies.
We center the rights of marginalized people in the work we do and strongly encourage Black, Indigenous and other people of color; racial, ethnic and religious minorities; women; persons with disabilities; youth; people from working class backgrounds; and LGBTQ people to apply.
About the Position: **The Senior Program Officer is an intermediate professional position at IFES providing support to the program division. Specific duties will include development, technical, administrative and financial management support and program oversight.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as primary interface with Country Directors and local staff to implement projects.
- Achieve project requirements within budget, established time frame, standards of quality, and donor satisfaction.
- Assist with preparing budgets, wire requests, vendor and consultant payments etc.; responsible for critical review and reporting of project financials in partnership with Finance team. Track project activities in line with budget, forecasting and evaluation of burn rate.
- Contribute, coordinate and ensure the quality of monthly/quarterly reports; Provide input into annual workplans, PMPs, and other programmatic reports.
- Establish, maintain, and develop productive working relationship with field staff, supervisees, consultants at large, and other departments within IFES HQ.
- Assist with program design, knowledge of IFES systems, tools for project implementation and monitoring.
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation team to design/determine program indicators, assist with monitoring to ensure activities are meeting indicators.
- Contribute to knowledge management and thought leadership.
- Monitor pending IFES grant/contract actions and coordinate timely action and response.
- Travel to field office to assist with project activities as needed.
- Participate in proposal development/new initiative process.
- Encourage professional developmental of junior program staff. Evaluate performance of supervisee(s), and provide constructive feedback and proactive management. Provide feedback on project team and project performance.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree in international relations, political science or international development preferred. Minimum of 4 years of overall work experience in the international development sector with NGO experience a plus. Experience with budget management and oversight of large single project or multiple projects. Supervisory experience a plus.
Experience: Minimum of 5-6 years of experience. Experience with program design and project management. Knowledgeable on USAID and non-US based grant and contract proposals, regulations, and procedures. Familiarity with USAID structure and personnel as well as other international donors (DFAT, DFID, GAC). Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel required. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required.
WHAT WE OFFER:**
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Monthly Benefit Allowance paid directly to all employees
- Employer paid life and AD&D insurance at 3x base salary
- 401(k) retirement plan with 1:1 employer match up to 6%
- Employer paid Short and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Generous vacation (starting at 3 weeks and increasing with time of service), sick leave, and personal leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”