General Manager (Parental Leave Cover)
· Up to 15 months contract (anticipated to December 2022)
· Full time (part time 0.8 FTE may be considered)
· Berlin, Germany (occasional home-working options may be considered)
Mission East Deutschland eV is looking for a person to manage the Berlin office on parental leave replacement (15 months). Main responsibilities include support in the direction and general management of Mission East Germany with a special focus on representation, liaison, compliance and finance.
Mission East was founded in Denmark in 1991 and is an international emergency aid and development organization working in crisis-hit countries in the former Soviet Union, the Middle East and Asia. We provide both acute emergency aid and long-term development cooperation. Mission East works for people in need and helps local communities lift themselves out of poverty and marginalization. We work directly with our beneficiaries or through local and international partners. We constantly strive to strengthen the relevance, impact and sustainability of our programs. More information on Mission East can be found via: https://missioneast.org .
Mission East Deutschland eV was founded in 2013 as part of a partnership agreement between Mission East and Mission East Germany. As sister organizations with a common organizational ethos and common values, this important partnership agreement forms the formal basis on which Mission East acts as an implementation partner for German funding projects. More information about Mission East Deutschland is available via: https://missioneast.de/ .
For the Berlin office, Mission East Deutschland eV (MED) is looking for full-time or part-time general office management to cover a period of parental leave, ideally commencing from September 15, 2021. Working in active and trusting cooperation with the Mission East teams in Brussels and Copenhagen, this varied role will include a range of aspects of management and coordination, including daily office management.
Key tasks and responsibilities will include:
Coordination with public donors
· Leadership in effective and timely communication with public donors
· Ensuring compliance with donor provisions, requirements and reporting obligations in the context of funded projects (AA, BMZ, GIZ)
· Preparation of new applications in cooperation with the program team in Brussels (especially AA, BMZ , GIZ and foundations)
· Translation activities into German / English Compilation of responses to donor inquiries MED’s lead participation in donor meetings and conferences, in particular MED’s representation at Venro
· Identification of new institutional funding opportunities
· Maintenance of network memberships and compliance with any reporting obligations
· Lead coordination in updating / applying for new MED certifications (e.g. DZI donation seal), donor audits, etc.
· Review of financial reports, forecasts, budgets and expenses to identify ways to maximize the organization’s financial well-being (in collaboration with finance director)
· Responsible for financial accounting and payments for Mission East Deutschland eV
· Allocation of financial resources in coordination with management, to implement the priorities set out in the organizational strategy.
· Ensure that all monthly and annual reports, financial reports and forecasts are prepared to meet legal, board and organizational requirements (together with Finance Admin and Finance Director)
· Coordination and coordination with banks
· Tracking of private donation income and related financial management
· Coordination with management and possible support of private fundraising activities
· Monitoring and control of the public communication of MED in cooperation with the management
Leadership and strategy
· Representing the management during absences or, by arrangement, strategic advice on the priorities of public donors in Germany and other priorities of humanitarian aid and German development cooperation
· Preparation of events (e.g. general meetings, board meetings, external events)
· Other tasks that are required to a reasonable extent
The successful candidate will bring:
· At least three years of experience in an international NGO
· Degree in a job-relevant field
· Proven competence in communication with public bodies in ministries and other relevant authorities.
· Proven experience in working with institutional donors (ideally with the Federal Foreign Office and the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and GIZ) with regard to application, reporting as well as donor guidelines and requirements.
· Degree (or equivalent experience) in fundraising would be desirable.
· Experience in organizational development desirable.
· Knowledge of financial management: budgeting and planning, accounting desirable.
· German at native speaker level, fluent spoken and written English.
· Comprehensive computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, accounting software.
· High level of organizational and coordination skills.
· Solution-oriented, reliable, independent and precise working method.
· High motivation, resilience and flexibility.
· Willingness to travel within Europe and, if necessary, to project countries.
· Sympathy for the organizational values of Mission East.
Additional requirements for the successful candidate:
· This role is based in Germany. The successful candidate will be required to provide evidence that they are entitled to live and work in Germany.
· Professional references will be requested and taken up.
· All Mission East’s staff are required to sign our organisational Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding Commitment.
· Mission East upholds high standards in all aspects of Safeguarding. In view of the nature of this role potentially requiring involvement with vulnerable individuals (including situations where there are potential imbalances of power), you will be required to provide both a self assessment and formal certificate of previous good conduct.
· Mission East upholds high standards in Counter Terrorism (COTER) and sanctions regulation compliance. In view of this role’s potential travel to and remote involvement with our field offices, Mission East will conduct a thorough pre-employment background check of successful candidates, including checking through the SDN sanctions lists.
· A meaningful role in a growing, international organization
· Participation in a highly motivated, international team with flat hierarchies
· 30 days of annual leave (full-time)
· Opportunity to work from home, possibly also outside of Berlin
The position is expected to commence from 15th September 2021 and to be limited to the end of December 2022.
How to apply
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis but no final selection decision will be made prior to Thursday 12th August.
To apply, please submit a cover letter in English and a curriculum vitae in German.
Please send your application to email@example.com with the keyword office management.
The selection interviews will take place via video conference and in English.
We look forward to receiving your application!