General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
GOAL has been working in North Aleppo Governate since 2019, through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, as well as emergency support for recently displaced household.
GOAL has two projects (ECHO funded LINK and PRM funded GREEN) in Turkey, LINK program targets refugees from nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds and those engaged in seasonal agricultural labor. LINK has been designed to address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable / marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to enable highly vulnerable refugees to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey. On the other hand, Green program aims to improve socioeconomic inclusion, resilience and self-sufficiency of highly vulnerable/excluded women and girls from host and refugee communities (Syrians as well as those living in program locations under the international protection regulation) including nomadic communities and seasonal agriculture workers from both communities through integrated and market driven livelihood opportunities and protection services, including language courses and vocational skills training on greenhouse production and agriculture; case management (CM)/coaching services, establishment of a women cooperative, protection outreach, information provision and awareness raising; and provision of special needs and individual protection assistance services.
The Water Quality Officer will be based across GOAL’s office’s in Azaz, northwest Aleppo, Syria. He/she will report to the WASH Project Manager in Azaz, and will be responsible for ensuring that GOAL supplies quality drinking water to beneficiaries,
The Water Quality Officer will be responsible for carrying out all laboratory experiments to test the water quality. Water Quality officer will also be responsible for testing the quality of fuel that GOAL is supplying to the generators of water stations or Camps.
The Water Quality Officer is responsible for preparing and developing the technical studies, schemes, and assessing all requirements of setting up, operating and maintenance of water treatment / chlorination and testing systems and equipment of drinking water. This includes the management of required supplies for the process of water treatment.
The Water Quality Officer will be the key role for setting technical specification for all activities related to purification of drinking water and will prepare the required technical documents. Also, he/she will be responsible for following up and monitoring the water system to ensure the best quality for drinking water be provided.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- Properly collect water samples from households, trucks, water stations and any other water point as necessary.
- Properly collect fuel samples from water stations and any other point as necessary.
- Carry out laboratory assessments to test water quality attributes including but not limited to faecal coliforms, free and total chlorine, pH, and turbidity.
- Carry out laboratory assessments to test fuel quality attributes including but not limited to Flash Point, Water Content, Sulphur Content, Cetane Index, Total contamination.
- Carry out station’s assessment from chlorine and other laboratory materials.
- Complete data entry into correct data collection software.
- Liaise with water unit staff and GOAL WASH team to ensure the ability to regularly collect water samples.
- Work alongside Monitoring and Evaluation team as required.
- Work closely with water unit’s Lab Assistant and provide the required knowledge and training to Water Unit or Water Camp Committee staff to ensure their ability to carry out water tests independently.
- Provide feedback for the design of water and fuel quality testing as necessary.
- Prepare and maintain fuel and water quality reports.
- Provide the Wash Programme Manager with daily and weekly water quality results, alerting the staff of extreme poor water quality tests immediately.
- Other related tasks at the request of the WASH PM.
- Degree level qualification in chemistry, or other related discipline.
- Laboratory experience or similar.
- Experience in working in WASH laboratory or Water testing.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft word and excel.
- Previous NGO experience in humanitarian work.
- Very good knowledge of water disinfection equipment and its materials.
- Good English language skills is an advantage.
Please note that GOAL does not charge a fee of any kind or any other financial obligation at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, induction) or other fees, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. GOAL does not work with intermediary institutions and individuals or employment agencies during the recruitment process. If any fee or payment requested from you at the application or any stage of the recruitment process, please do not respond.
“يرجى ملاحظة أن منظمة جول GOAL لا تفرض أي رسوم من أي نوع أو أي التزام مالي آخر في أي مرحلة من مراحل عملية التوظيف (الطلب ، المقابلة ، المعالجة ، التدريب ، التعريف) أو رسوم أخرى ، و لا تطالب بأي معلومات عن الحسابات المصرفية البنكيه للمتقدمين على الشواغر. لا تعمل جول GOAL مع المؤسسات الوسيطة والأفراد أو وكالات التوظيف أثناء عملية التوظيف. في حالة طلب أي رسوم أو مستحقات منك خلال عملة التقديم على الوظائف الشاغره أو في أي مرحلة من مراحل عملية التوظيف ، يرجى إلابلاغ عدم الاستجابه
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline is 17-Aug-21 .